Kendrick - Starting early..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

studymum

Kendrick - Starting early..

Post by studymum »

So, having been through two rounds of the Reading exams with the boys (one successful - 2009 entry and one unsuccessful - ranked 123), I am now thinking ahead to DD who is in Year 4. I'm not planning to do any extra work as of yet but just want to get some things clear in my head, especially as dates are slightly forward now and time flies! Looking at the information, am I right in thinking they only test NVR and VR? No English or Maths tests?

We've got loads of old papers in the house lying around from the boys attempts and she loves messing around with them.

We didn't get tutoring with the boys but undertook a bit of DIY at home - am I naive in thinking others do the same or are most formally tutored?

I'm glad she's the last one as I don't think I could keep going through these - the grey hairs are coming thick and fast from the nerves of it all :)

Thanks in advance.
Reading Mum

Re: Kendrick - Starting early..

Post by Reading Mum »

Yes it is just VR & NVR in standard format not multi choice.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Only two exams VR and NVR but more candidates for less places and girls seem to work harder so required scores are higher.

Start early and easy, a lot of the VR and NVR can be introduced as puzzles in a fun way.

If your DD is anything like mine having seen two older brothers studying 11+ she will be keen to beat them. :)

As mentioned above currently standard format, so you may need to buy some additional materials for VR, NVR just chuck away the answer grid and circle the correct answer o the question paper.

Have a look at earlier threads on Reading/Kendrick, info. gets mixed up, for detailed experiences.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Hi studymum - my dd3 is in y4 too, so I guess we'll be keeping each other company for another couple of years :-) She does the Bond books - having seen her older siblings do them they just seem like fun puzzles. She loves nvr, isn't so keen on vr, lol! Apart from that, I'm not even thinking about it until 2013 ;-)
studymum

Post by studymum »

Thanks guys :)

Steve - You're right, she is keen to do better than the boys :) She also enjoys word puzzles etc whereas they boys found them a bit of a chore.

Aliportico - I'm sure we'll be seeing alot of each other here over the next two years. Nice to have someone following the same path but I'm also going to try not to think too much about it for a while yet!

x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now