Kendrick catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oxfordshire parent

Kendrick catchment

Post by Oxfordshire parent »

We live in South Oxon, approximately 10 miles from Kendrick which is in Reading Authority. Our daughter attends a local village primary school and we hope she will have a chance of going to Kendrick in 2009 as she is very able. My concern is that numbers of local children getting in to Kendrick or Reading School seem to be very few and this year none at all. Is this chance or are there fewer places for Oxfordshire children? If being in Oxfordshire counts against us, where is the optimum place to live and how do we identify an alternative primary school from which there is an established history of children moving on into Kendrick?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Oxfordshire Parent,

Kendrick do not have a catchment but I believe they do have a statement about reasonable travelling time.

Reading do have a designated area and also boarding.

Designated Area
All day places will be offered to applicants who perform well enough in the tests and who reside within the designated area. Only if there are further places available will candidates who live outside the designated area be considered.

The designated area consists of:

All post codes starting:
RG1, RG2, RG4, RG5, RG6, RG7, RG8, RG10, RG12, RG18, RG19, RG30, RG31, RG40, RG41, RG42, RG45.

RG9 1, RG9 2, RG9 3, RG9 4 & RG9 5
RG14 1, RG14 2, RG14 3, RG14 5, RG14 6 & RG14 7
RG20 4, RG20 5, RG20 6 & part of RG20 7 (east of A34)
RG26 3, RG26 4 & part of RG26 5 (north of A339)
RG27 0 & parts of RG27 8 & RG27 9 (north of M3)

GU15 1, GU15 2, GU15 3 & GU15 4
GU17 0 & GU17 9
GU19 5
GU46 6 & GU46 7
GU47 0, GU47 8 & GU47 9

OX10 0, OX10 8, OX10 9 & part of OX10 6 (south of A4130)
OX11 9

SL4 4
SL5 0, SL5 7, SL5 8 & SL5 9
SL6 1, SL6 2, SL6 3, SL6 4, SL6 5, SL6 6 & SL6 7

I know one lad starting at Reading in September who lives on edge of designated area at RG9 4.

Even good schools have not so good years in getting places, the competition is very tough. There is no loading against Oxfordshire it is a first past the post exam system.

Rather than moving house or school which will cause disruption why not consider DIY tuition for the exam, that is what this site is about. :D

Good luck on your journey.

stevew61
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Oxfordshire Parent,

We also live in South Oxon and, like you, my children attend a local village primary school. My son has a place at Reading School for September so it can be done!! I think very few apply from this distance, although I do know of two local girls who applied for Kendrick this year but didn't get in.

You will not be penalised for living in Oxfordshire although as Stevew61 has said you do have to have a qualifying postcode for Reading School. We may be joining you in applying for Kendrick for 2009.

Post by Guest »

[quote="stevew61"]Oxfordshire Parent,

"Kendrick do not have a catchment but I believe they do have a statement about reasonable travelling time."

Thankyou for this information. Does anyone know what is considered to be "reasonable travelling time" please - ie how far can one realistically live from Kendrick and be eligible for a place if travelling by public transport?
In addition, does anyone know of primary schools which have a good record of dealing with gifted and talented children, with particular emphasis on their social and emotional well being, and regularly have a number of girls who get into Kendrick?