Reading School (Reading Boys) 2012 Entrance Test Results for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
reading 1234

Re: Reading School (Reading Boys) 2012 Entrance Test Results

Post by reading 1234 »

i wonder how many are still waiting to receive results.
Good luck
springsnow

Post by springsnow »

Hi, is there any boarding boys?

My boy's socre is 302.09 and the cut off score is 302. So close!

How likely he can be offered a position?

I send a email to reading office ask his rank, but they refuse to tell me.

Good luck for all the boys.
springsnow

Post by springsnow »

Is there anyone know the intake score for last year?

many thanks
cestlavie

Post by cestlavie »

Does anyone understand why the cut-off is so much lower for boarders? I assume they sat a very similar test and were standardised against the whole cohort. Seems to me to be something that those not allowed to apply could legally have a case to appeal if so inclined.
Kendrick mum

Post by Kendrick mum »

Eventually the postie arrived and ds scored 365 hope he has done enough.

BTW thanks GreatReadingDad for your Rankings

From your rankings looks likely that 343 could be last score accepted sometime in the last few years. Obviously its very dependant on how many accept or decline places.

Well done to all Reading Hopefuls, still wont be completely over for us until allocation day though. This has been quite a confusing process.

Kendrick mum
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

cestlavie wrote:Does anyone understand why the cut-off is so much lower for boarders? I assume they sat a very similar test and were standardised against the whole cohort. Seems to me to be something that those not allowed to apply could legally have a case to appeal if so inclined.

Boarding places are very few each year. Only 12 places offered. Hence probably no more than 50-60 max sit the boarders paper. Hence lower score on standerdised.

Not a case for appeal, as different circumstances, different rules.
ammaa

Post by ammaa »

I was just watching this forum from end of July .Just joined today.It's amazing.I wonder how helpful everybody...so polite.Thanks to everyone.I tried to apply to my LA online.Once I've enterd the date of birth (wrong side of September 1st) it said 'The date of birth you entered is wrong.check it and do it again.If you need any help contact' ....... tel number and an e-mail Id.The phone line was on the waiting list...I mean in the queue.
Sorry I'm very late to apply.I have to apply to the Hampshire county council stating the Reading school.Once(as soon as possible) we've moved to Reading we have to inform the LA.The problem is the date of birth.Anybody got the idea or experience please...
GreatReadingDad

Post by GreatReadingDad »

Don't forget about the test for late applications on 11 Jan 2013! So some of the ranks could go to them as well, as total numbers (607) does not includes those DC.

I have another set of score from a friend:

Maths 126.82
English 114.44
Reasoning 129.38
Total including age standardisation = 377.65
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

ammaa,

Best advise is to contact/call them directly with your problem, and someone there should be able to advise you,
on your dilemma.

Good Luck

BW
LondonPa

Post by LondonPa »

Have been following the discussion with interest all day.

My son is potential boarder. Scored SS of 358, so seems assured of offer even without the lower bar for boarders.

One reason for a lower boarder cut-off is the different exams that boarders are likely to prepare for. My son has taken 11+ exams for 3 different counties, and is preparing for tests for at least 3 independent schools in January. Probably much easier for local Reading tutors (and/or parents) to cram for a single exam. My son scored 110 in maths, which is ok, but he is capable of at least 10 points -- and possibly 20 points -- more, and may have achieved this if focused on a single exam.

One other point: parents who like Reading but live out of the catchment area may want to consider the boarding option, especially if an independent school is the likely alternative. A few months back, I knew nothing about boarding at state grammar schools, but the dearth of options in west London has made me explore more widely, and weekly boarding at Reading has many attractions for both me and my son.