'Duffers' Guide to Kendrick (Now Berkshire)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
millicent

Re: 'Duffers' Guide to Kendrick

Post by millicent »

Hello
I am brand new to this whole process so thank you Tinkers for such a helpful guide! I am not sure if I'm writing in the correct area but this is my query:
Having purchased and read the useful "Bond- How to do NVR" you suggested I did the pull-out practice test myself (to ensure I'm ready to help when my DD does it.) I have about 10 questions where the answers are not enough- I need explanations! Please could anyone suggest where these could be obtained?
Thank you
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Best bet might be the NVR section of this forum. It is certainly where I got explanations for questions I couldn't understand.

Saying that, I found that DD actually could do the questions better than me. Part of the learning experience with NVR is actually explaining why the answer is what it is.

There is one publisher (and I can't remember which one at the moment) that explains the answers. May even be Bond in their practise papers?
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

millicent wrote:Hello
I am brand new to this whole process so thank you Tinkers for such a helpful guide! I am not sure if I'm writing in the correct area but this is my query:
Having purchased and read the useful "Bond- How to do NVR" you suggested I did the pull-out practice test myself (to ensure I'm ready to help when my DD does it.) I have about 10 questions where the answers are not enough- I need explanations! Please could anyone suggest where these could be obtained?
Thank you
I've pmd you a couple of links you may find useful :)
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

The AE NVR How To books have graded and explained answers, they also teach the "language" of NVR.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

You could try these. Each one gives an explanation if you click on "view answer".
millicent

Post by millicent »

Thanks for all your suggestions- I will try them out. I have been through a couple of "How to do NVR" books and can do the majority of questions but when I'm stumped I can spend ages staring at a question (with the answer) and have no idea at all- it drives me mad!!
jillybean

Post by jillybean »

Tinkers

Many thanks for posting this helpful guide! My daughter and I have just started preparation for the Kendrick test this October and it has aided us enormously to have your advice.

Can I just ask one question about timing? I understand from your post that the Kendrick VR test is 100 questions in 50 minutes, but can't see similar advice about the number of questions and length for the NVR test.

At the moment I am doing as you suggested and just keeping note of times and percentages, but it would be good to know what we need to aim for - especially as we will be returning from abroad just to take the test, and I don't wish to inflict that level of disruption and stress on my daughter unless she has a good chance of doing well!

Many thanks.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

NVR in timed sections approx. 30 seconds per question, so maybe 16 questions in 8 minutes. Last year a total of 75 questions in 4 or 5 sections, sorry can't find my notes. :oops:

I viewed the papers after the exam and the NVR wasn't hard just time pressured to get above the 90+% score required.

You can only work within the section during the time allowed, you can't go back later, the papers are the more modern looking GL pack Two standard format. During the warm up questions you can not peek ahead.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

stevew61 wrote:NVR in timed sections approx. 30 seconds per question, so maybe 16 questions in 8 minutes. Last year a total of 75 questions in 4 or 5 sections, sorry can't find my notes. :oops:

I viewed the papers after the exam and the NVR wasn't hard just time pressured to get above the 90+% score required.

You can only work within the section during the time allowed, you can't go back later, the papers are the more modern looking GL pack Two standard format. During the warm up questions you can not peek ahead.

DD remembered 5 sections. Timing for each to suit the number of questions.
I will add a note to that effect into the guide.
jillybean

Post by jillybean »

Thanks to you both for the answers.

I think that, like most girls, my daughter is finding the NVR easier - she is already doing most of them at around 30 secs per question (although with a careless mistake here and there). The VR is taking longer at the moment, perhaps as long as a couple of minutes per question, depending on the type, although at least she almost always gets them right in the end!

I am sure I will have other questions as we progress; this forum is such a great help, especially when we are nearly 6000 miles away and don't know anyone who has ever been to Kendrick... :?