'Duffers' Guide to Kendrick (Now Berkshire)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jillybean

Re: 'Duffers' Guide to Kendrick

Post by jillybean »

Well, just over a week to go for this year's tests.

I have another (daft?) question as we focus on exam technique and just doing your best. Based on previous years' experiences, how does the time-keeping work? Is it likely to be up to DD to note when the test starts and when she is near the end? Or is the invigilator likely to announce '10 minutes left' or '2 minutes to go' ?

Thanks to everyone for the calm and sensible advice offered on this forum.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I was asked this the other day and updated the guide accordingly. :D

VR, they are given time warnings. DD doesn't remember what though, so could be 5 mins and 10 mins to go. It's worth trying to get them to keep an eye on the clock to pace themselves, but not to obsess about it. May be check at the end of each page or section?

NVR no time warnings given as these are in short sections anyway.

Apparently all the classrooms have clocks, but the one in DD's form room is broken. :( Make sure they take a watch.
jillybean

Post by jillybean »

Tinkers -thanks, I hadn't thought to re-read the guide. :oops:

That sounds good. The short bursts of NVR probably don't need much time-keeping anyway, and it sounds just right to have a warning near the end of VR so she can make sure she reviews what is left and makes best use of her remaining time. We have been noting start times and she does have a watch (although it is another matter whether, in the heat of the moment, she will be able to work out when 50 minutes will be up). :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I've edited the guide to include a few things following feedback from a few people and in response to last minute questions people had.

Thank you to those who have contributed so far and if anyone else has anything they think would be useful, let me know.
Informeria

Post by Informeria »

In the "Aftermath part two - results" section of the Duffers' Guide there's a link to a post in another thread in this forum that gives help with working out your daughter's chances of getting a place.

I've put a tool online that automatically does the calculation described in that post. The tool is here: http://kendrickcalculator.weebly.com/

(I don't know whether you think it's worth including a link to that tool in the Duffers' Guide.)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks, I've added that in too.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Informeria whilst trying to be helpful I'm afraid your link has a max ss of 149,
Which I'm afraid is inaccurate as the max is a ss of 141.
Would you be able to amend this?
Informeria

Post by Informeria »

Bewildered: As you suggested, I've changed the "Kendrick Calculator" tool (http://kendrickcalculator.weebly.com/) to generate a table that doesn't give scores higher than 141.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Thanks Informeria :D
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Following the proposed changes to the Kendrick exam for Sept 2014 test (for entry in Sept 2015) I have updated the guide.

As I have no experience with CEM I've included a link to Patricia's guide to CEM.

I've hopefully caught all the bits that needed changing. Let me know if there's any errors.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now