which schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SupportiveFather

which schools

Post by SupportiveFather »

Hello,

I am based out of hounslow. My DS is preparing for 2014. I am looking some help to finalise the list of target schools. i have slough , tiffin in list, looking some suggestion on schools.
tiffinboys

Re: which schools

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin (100% open), Langley (100% catchment), Slough and Herschel and possibly, St. Bernard's (faith based but some places many be available for non-Catholics).

Others you could also target as these are open selective; some of these will need relocation.
QE, Sutton, Wallington, Wilson's, St. Olave's, St. Jude, Skinner, RG in Colchester, KE in Birmingham area.

There are not many open selective grammars. Vast majority have catchment/distance policies.
SupportiveFather

Many thanks tiffinboys,

Could you shed some light on Tiffin boy’s preparations: books, material and way? My son is preparing, i believe tiffin needs tough preparing.

Regards
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Is 2014 entry or entrance test? Have you arranged some tutoring or doing DIY?

For VR, see the sticky from Patricia - very useful.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For NVR, DC did Bond assessment books upto 5, (AE work books and test papers may be used instead of Bond assessment books), DC then did Bond and GL test and two other bit harder practice papers. These are not included in this forum's recommended list, so not mentioned here.
SupportiveFather

He is preparing for 2014 entry.

Yes for VR i am following Patricia post since it appeared and following AE for both VR and NVR with support.
For NVR you said correctly there is not enough harder material. Could you give me some more details on as you said "bit harder practice papers". Could you share the material with me? You can do pm.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I believe that the reason for one of test papers not being recommended is to do with few errors in the answer sheets. I don't know if these have been corrected by now or still old editions are being sold. So some one needs to be quite good in detecting these errors, otherwise the children would be confused.

The other pack is quite hard and some of my friends feel that these papers may confuse children, if NVR techniques have not been well learnt. With this caution, if you still want to know, then pm me.

FYI, we got both these papers from Amazon.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

pm on the way, supportivedad.
SupportiveFather

Many thanks for the update.

I need some more details. I appreciate , if someone can suggest me schools that i can apply that only judge on VR and NVR and no catchment policy. For the fact i live in Hounslow. I know Tiffin and Slough.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SupportiveFather wrote: I appreciate , if someone can suggest me schools that i can apply that only judge on VR and NVR and no catchment policy. For the fact i live in Hounslow. I know Tiffin and Slough.
You would not find many schools which select on NVR/VR only and are open selective as well. Even Slough would not have 100% places on open selection. The award for 'crazy' 100% open selective & 'NVR/VR test only' goes to Tiffin alone in the area.

1. The Sutton grammars now test Literacy & Numeracy.
2. 3 or 4 'super-selectives' in Kent also test Numeracy. Also a writing exercise which is used for appeals. The remaining 30 or so Kent grammars have distance policies.
3. There are one or two schools with open catchment in Essex (Colchester) and Birmingham area. Check each region for the current admission policies.

In all likelihood, you only have Tiffin and partly, Slough grammars as options, unless your DC also prepares for Literacy/Numeracy tests.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now