Kendricks School Buses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Reading Mum

Re: Kendricks School Buses

Post by Reading Mum »

Tinkers wrote:
My DD sort of complained last night that when she leaves school, 'all' the other girls walk towards the station, except her and the girl she catches the bus with. If one or other of them leaves late, then they have to walk to the bus stop on their own, and this annoys her apparently.
I get the same about the fact that my DD is the only one that walks - they always have to have something to moan about :)
rg45mum

Post by rg45mum »

There is a boys school bus that winds its way through Wokingham - comes via Crowthorne - it stops outside our house and I keep meaning to ring the bus company and ask if they have any objection to a girl travelling on it - all money to them. It seems ridiculous to me that there is a boys school bus and no bus for Kendrick ... surely there must be 30 or 40 of us from South of Reading that would be interested in one. My problem is that whilst we have a station in Crowthorne we are 30 minutes walk from it - and I work shifts so dropping daughter to station and picking up not always feasible. Mind you we actually have to get a place first ... FOCL!!
Ironman12

Post by Ironman12 »

RG45, if you wouldn't mind sharing those details then I don't mond calling the bus company as well.

Thanks
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Reading Mum wrote: I get the same about the fact that my DD is the only one that walks - they always have to have something to moan about :)
If mine get in... they'll be walking too, or possibly on bikes. And not even in the direction of the station!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

If it's to Reading, then it's a Horseman's coach I assume. I suppose timings-wise it would work (reading start at 8.20, Kendrick at 8.25; Reading finish at 3.25, Kendrick at 3.10 so you'd have time to get to and from Reading to Kendrick), but I'm not sure I'd want to be the lone 11 year old girl on a coach full of boys!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

rg45mum wrote: It seems ridiculous to me that there is a boys school bus and no bus for Kendrick
I can see that it would be useful to some, but "ridiculous"? There's nowhere to park. When they use a coach for trips it parks on the hatched area outside the gates on London Road - clearly this is not supposed to be used for parking and the council might not like it if it were used twice a day every day. You couldn't get a coach actually into school. Maybe a minibus. Not sure what you expect the school to do, tbh. Mrs Elms always used to tell parents to think very carefully about the length of their daughter's journey.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The only option would be for the bus to stop on Kendrick road nearby.

Kendrick don't even allow parents to park at the school, it's stated in every single letter that comes home about meetings etc at the school.
Though I've noticed it doesn't stop parents from trying :roll:

Their car park is tiny, the road leading into the entrance on East street is tiny and I doubt a coach/bus would have enough room to turn into East street or into the school. If it managed to get into the car park it wouldn't have room to turn round.

Judging by this years contact list, most girls are reasonably local and on local public bus routes. There are few that are further away but not enough in anyone area to warrant a dedicated bus route.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

And Kendrick Road is manic at school times.

I drive a Transit-sized vehicle and *I* have had trouble turning round in the school car park when I've picked up an ill daughter!
rg45mum

Post by rg45mum »

No reason why the could not drop on the road on the far side of royal berkshire hospital by the museum for English rural life and the girls use the pelican crossing across London road - always like to think there is a solution somewhere if we look hard enough. The coach company also told me they are very happy to have kendrick girls on the bus - just no one ever asks - it gets in with time to spare for reception too.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

rg45mum wrote:No reason why the could not drop on the road on the far side of royal berkshire hospital by the museum for English rural life and the girls use the pelican crossing across London road
I really don't think you could use Redlands Road.
- always like to think there is a solution somewhere if we look hard enough. The coach company also told me they are very happy to have kendrick girls on the bus - just no one ever asks - it gets in with time to spare for reception too.
Well, there you go, you've found your solution :) And I'm sure that will be interesting and useful for quite a few people.

Good luck for next year :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now