how rounds of allocation work ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

etranger

how rounds of allocation work ?

Post by etranger »

hello all,
Could somebody point me to the thread where I can educate myself on what and how those famous ‘rounds of allocations’ are?
Is this some kind of a mysterious process between LEA council admission team and schools themselves?
What are the timescales ? Any way to influence this ? I guess no!

I did a search on the forum, but it is all small pieces of one large puzzle…

Principle : are those allocations linked to 1st, 2nd, 3rd e.t.c. choices on CAF form?

Does it means (theoretically) that if my DC got (let's imagine!) top score on test for certain oversubscribed school placing that school as 2nd choice on CAF it will be slim chance to get into that school because all places to that school are gone after 1st round of allocations even to pupils scored lower than DC?

If our 1st choice school will not offer and if paragraph above is correct -> welcome to sync school!

What are chance of getting offers from le't say two schools in March?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by etranger on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bewildered

Re: how rounds of allocation work ?

Post by Bewildered »

Allocation rounds in Berkshire applies to the Slough Consortium.

Is that the area you are interested in?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You will only get one offer of a place at the beginning of March. It will be for the first school on your list that can offer you a place. You may well be eligible for schools lower down but they won't give you a place if you can be offered one at a higher place school.

in your example if your DC was eligible for the 1st place school they would be offered that, if they were not eligible then the second school would be considered to be their first choice.
etranger

Post by etranger »

are we sure we talking about same thing ?

I meant to ask about 'allocation rounds' rather than about 'testing rounds'.

all that activity happens after CAF submssion and National Offering Date (a.k.a. Allocation Date)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

can you answer Bewildered's Q and then we may be able to give more info.
Bewildered wrote:Allocation rounds in Berkshire applies to the Slough Consortium.

Is that the area you are interested in?
etranger

Post by etranger »

Yes, I am interested in Slough consortium however my question is really broader than that.

Basically my question applies to every county where CAF is used and where National Allocation Day implemented :-)

I've edited my original post to make sure it is clearer - please have a look. I think it is very interesting subject and affects everybody.

It is to understand mechanisms how LEA controlling our children's fate.

Unless I am wrong, allocation rounds exists everywhere but it is absolutely not-transparent process for anyone except LEA personnel and schools admissions teams.

Of course, your genuine first choice school should appear as nr1 on your CAF, I am not questioning that and I am not trying to scare or confuse anybody - just to be clear. There is no conspiracy :-)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

etranger wrote: Does it means (theoretically) that if my DC got (let's imagine!) top score on test for certain oversubscribed school placing that school as 2nd choice on CAF it will be slim chance to get into that school because all places to that school are gone after 1st round of allocations even to pupils scored lower than DC?
I suspect you are confusing the 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice format.
Even though you are being asked to advise the LEA via the CAF of your school choices as Hermanmuster has said only ONE of those will be offered on allocation day in March.
By placing the 'top scoring test 'school 2nd (As in your example above) you have basically advised the LEA that you would prefer the school which you have placed above it, more.
If the LEA have places at your first choice school and your DC meets the criteria, they being nice kind hearted souls, will oblige you and offer you your first choice.
Your other choices will not be referred to.
These only come into the picture if the LEA cannot offer you your first choice. Then they each in turn will be looked at in the same way as above, until a school that can offer you a place and also one that your DC meets the criteria for is available, then this will be offered.

If you are a yr6 parent, Your LEA should have already sent you a 'Guide to Secondary School Admissions' booklet. All of this is fully explained in there. Alternatively you could check the guide out on the LEA's website. Or this also gives an overview.
etranger wrote:If our 1st choice school will not offer and if paragraph above is correct -> welcome to sync school!
Already answered
hermanmunster wrote: It will be for the first school on your list that can offer you a place.
etranger wrote:What are chance of getting offers from le't say two schools in March?
already answered
hermanmunster wrote:You will only get one offer of a place at the beginning of March.
etranger

Post by etranger »

I think I know whene I confused everybody : I needed to ask about "round of offers" rather than about "round of allocations".

Tiffin school made me wonder about this,
I've seen somewhere "it does not makes sense to sit Tiffin 11plus exam if you not planning to list this schools as first choice"
This means it is not good as backup choice school.

anybody understands why ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now