Kendricks Reading Results entry to year in Sept 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sonalshukla

Re: Kendricks Reading Results entry to year in Sept 2014

Post by sonalshukla »

We are at 117.5 for Kendrick, and realize it could be on the border line for actual allocations. This side or that side is something which time alone can tell, apart from some very inteliigent estimates. However, we are OOC and planning to move into catchment soon.
Does the school not let us know our ranks :) ?
Last edited by sonalshukla on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarlWalters

Post by CarlWalters »

Our daughter's results came through yesterday. She insisted on opening them herself after school!

NVR 117
VR 113
AVG 115

We are in the catchment area, RG4, so perhaps she has a very very slim chance

So if I've understood the numbers at http://kendrickcalculator.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; correctly then there are 123 candidates who will have scored 115 or higher, so if there were a waiting list as such then I think that would put her 27th?

We went through all of this with our son and Reading School three years ago. He started out at 119 on the waiting list, slowly crept up the list through the summer, started at a different school and then on the first day of term we got a call from Reading School saying that a place had not been taken up and it was his if he wanted. He did want :)
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

it won't hurt to try but you need to be aware that the Kendrick waiting list only moved 1 place last year so you might need to manage expectations.

Good luck
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

sonalshukla wrote:We are at 117.5 for Kendrick, and realize it could be on the border line for actual allocations. This side or that side is something which time alone can tell, apart from some very inteliigent estimates. However, we are OOC and planning to move into catchment soon.
Does the school not let us know our ranks :) ?
no further info will come from the school till allocation day.

at 117.5 somewhere between 89 and 100 DDs got the same score or higher so you can be cautiously optimistic as long as you get into the designated area by the right date.
sonalshukla

Post by sonalshukla »

Thanks ReadingMum, We are moving by Dec end.

Looking at the calculator at http://kendrickcalculator.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , should we consider OOC candidates who dont prefer to move to catchment and also people who used this as Mock test for other schools to be included in this list and expect the numbers to come down for the actual allocation?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

yes they will all be in there so on allocation day the OOC DDs will be moved out of the way (to the bottom of the list below all the 'in designated area' DD with 109 or more) and then if people got in but don't want their place that is where the waiting list comes in to play.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

CarlWalters wrote:NVR 117
VR 113
AVG 115

We are in the catchment area, RG4, so perhaps she has a very very slim chance

So if I've understood the numbers at http://kendrickcalculator.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; correctly then there are 123 candidates who will have scored 115 or higher, so if there were a waiting list as such then I think that would put her 27th?
I don't think you can take it that exactly. The vr and nvr should follow the normal distribution, their mean might not.

Looking at
113 80.69% 19.31% 150
114 82.47% 17.53% 136
115 84.13% 15.87% 123
116 85.69% 14.31% 111
117 87.15% 12.85% 100
118 88.49% 11.51% 89
then obviously 123 isn't quite the mean of 100 and 150. So I would be thinking in far more vague terms than "27th on the waiting list".

My daughter's scores put her approx 306th for vr and 71st for nvr. Averaging them gives 188th, looking at her mean score of 112 on the normal distribution gives 164th. It's all very approximate!

Last year 651 girls sat the test, which would have put the 96 person cut off around 115-116 (with 179 getting over 109). We know it went down to 113 (or 113.5?), so somewhere in the region of 25 girls who got over 109 didn't apply. (Very rough, lots of hand-waving there!)

(The year before, 158 girls got over 109 and eventually everyone who wanted a place got one - an exceptional year I think, and probably last year is the only relevant one due to the designated area coming in.)

This year it looks like you need 117-118. You might predict that 25-30 109+ers don't apply? Bringing the score needed down to about 115.

I hope everyone appreciates that this is getting more and more tenuous as I go on, and I am doing it mainly for my own entertainment!

All this to say: with 115, if your daughter would like the chance to go there, put it #1 on your CAF. It won't prejudice any other applications, and the only way you can be sure of NOT getting a place is by NOT applying!

Good luck, she's done really well :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Back on page 3 of this thread, I have gone through a similar thought process as Aliportico (great minds etc) and also thought the cutoff will end up about 115.

It all depends on how many higher scorers decide not to apply, get another school they put as a higher preference or are ooc.
The calculator is a guide not a definitive answer, as Aliportico says. It is based on a single test score not an average of two test scores, which is what you get from Kendrick, so the stats get a bit clunky. I hated stats, so I'm not the person to explain that. However with a lack of rankings with the results it is the best we have to go on.

No guarantees, but I can guarantee that if you don't put it down you definitely won't get in.
jras2636

Post by jras2636 »

jras2636 wrote::twisted:

Postie came and went, handed us an insurance bill instead of the expected Kendrick letter. Hopefully we will get the letter tomorrow. Will start hounding the school from tomorrow.

Is there anyone else who did not get the letter today.

Cheers
Postie came rather late today, but with the letter.

DD is through with 122 (116- VR, 128 - NVR).
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Letter finally arrived, DD passed Kendrick. So took her out to McD's to celebrate.

:D

Bw
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now