Reading School results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
readingss

Re: Reading School results

Post by readingss »

DadFromEngland wrote:http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... scores.cfm

As per my calculation - RB standardises on each subject which means total score is 141 * 3 = 423.

Now if we take pass mark of 336 -- average standardised pass mark per subject is 336/3 = 112.

from the graph in the link above - more than 112 achieved children are -- 22%. Which means 22% of 677 = 148 (approx) are passed exam.

This means - child scored 345 will be ranked at 108. As maximum obtained score is less (394), this rank will be lower than this --may be 98.

Remember that some children may not be applying even though they have higher marks.

(correct me if there is anything wrong)
Nice calculation DadfromEngland...Your calculation gives a new hope for my DS (342.58) and may be it makes sense to give it a go for RB.
jamesberks

Post by jamesberks »

@readingss - I couldn't see the usual button to quote your post but in reply to
"Living in designated area (1.6miles from Reading school) - not sure to assume if I could make it in 1st or 2nd list.
any suggestions if it makes sense to try luck?
"

Distance makes no difference. The school record standardised results to two decimal places which means the effective number of different total scores goes from being a range of integers between ± 2.5 standard deviations from the mean or 300 ± 112.5 which is the 225 different values between 187.5 and 412.5 [the approx min/max in the results letters] to 50 × 50 × 50 = 125,000 different possible values. For example, scoring Reasoning 24, English 25, Maths 26 will give a completely different result to scoring 25 in all three tests (or any other combination of raw scores which add up to 75 correctly answered questions.) Recording the scores to 2dp pretty much guarantees that every score is different.

[edited the above 31/10 @15:30]

The tie-breaker hasn't been used in 13 years which is as far back as the records go. The admission criteria says, "With regard to the historic links with the Borough of Reading, eligible boys living nearer to the School will be accorded a higher priority in the allocation of day-boy places", This is strictly true but given the chances of it happening make the lottery look a dead cert by comparison it is practically meaningless.

You should always list schools on the CAF in order of preference even if you think your chances of getting your first choice is slight. It makes no difference to the assessment of your second choice.
TryintobechilledDad

Post by TryintobechilledDad »

If we list reading boys as 1st pref and a slough grammar as second pref, and the marks are such that a place in slough is allot able and reading is on wait list, will the LEA assign slough school and not put us on reading wait list?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You will be allocated Slough and either you will be automatically added to the waiting list for Reading or will be asked if you want to be (I'm not sure which).
TryintobechilledDad

Post by TryintobechilledDad »

I see! So by some miracle if a place were to become avlbl in wait list-considering there are 12 more places-the fact that slough which was 2nd pref but allotted does not preclude the possibility of getting a place at RBS on wait list?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

No. You can be on the wait list for schools you place higher on your CAF if you get one of your lower choices.
Best to check your authority admissions guide for further details, to check whether it happens automatically or you have to tell them.