Reading School results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mtpebbles

Re: Reading School results

Post by mtpebbles »

Dear Maidenhead99

Your first priority is to be above the 336 minimum mark, then are you within catchment as OOC you still have practically no chance unless you move within the timescale of January.

If you are within catchment you place the schools in order of preference but be aware if you do not place Reading as your 1st choice you will not even be considered. So as long as you have the minimum 336 you should put Reading first, but please note if you are really close to 336 you are likely to be quite far down the waiting list.

You will hopefully get an offer for your second choice and you will be notified of your ranking by Reading School. You should accept the choice given and you are automatically placed on the waiting list for the school(s) which were above your offer. eg if you get an offer for your 3rd choice you will be on waiting lists for both school choices 1 and 2 and should a place come up or a successful appeal is made a new offer will be made to your DS. The waiting list for Reading School is kept open even after the start of term until 31st Jan 2015 as some people move or change their plans for all sorts of reasons. This is what our LA operates if you are with another LA maybe worth checking their policy.

Hope this make sense to you? :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mtpebbles wrote: If you are within catchment you place the schools in order of preference but be aware if you do not place Reading as your 1st choice you will not even be considered.
Wherever you are applying from, you must rank schools on your CAF in your true order of preference. Schools are not allowed to know where you ranked them on your CAF, so your application for a place will be considered regardless. The LA allocates to you a place at the school furthest up your list of preferences which is able to offer you one according to its published admissions criteria (score / pass-mark, distance, siblings or whatever). The point about putting your real first choice first is that the LA assumes quite reasonably that what you put is what you want...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
gettingontrack

Post by gettingontrack »

Hello

My DS has secured 353.05 in Reading & 128 in Slough Consortium. We live in Langley, outside the DA for Reading.

Few questions here:
1) Is the above score good enough for securing a seat in Reading if we move into the DA by Jan 2014?
2) If we do move to the DA for Reading, will we still be considered for Langley Grammar (Slough) in case of not being allocated a seat in Reading?
3) If we move to Reading post 31st Oct, will we have to create a new CAF list with Reading LA or would the current CAF will be transferred to Reading LA?

A bit long winded and thanks for your patience.
earleymom

Post by earleymom »

My DS passed. Congrats to all those who passed and Commiserations to those who didn't make the cut-off. Saw this quote by someone's DS in another forum, felt very apt for all the children:
"if I don't pass I haven't failed, I just didn't get the the score needed, to fail I would have had to given up".
Just wanted to thank all those who directly/indirectly helped me and DS through this long journey - to name few: Complete Novice,stevew61,cocoa0101,mum-of-three,Jaysdarlin... Each person's advice/resource has helped one way or the other and without this forum, would've been very hard for parents like me.

I've noted down this year's exam details from my DS and would give the details to moderators soon, hopefully will be helpful to other parents in future..
pickles

Post by pickles »

I would like to echo earleymum's comments. A big thank you from me too for all your help, it has certainly helped us along the way in terms of information and moral support x
GuttedDad

Post by GuttedDad »

Thanks
Last edited by GuttedDad on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maidenhead99

Post by Maidenhead99 »

Thank you mtpebbles.. Beginning to make sense now.
readingss

Post by readingss »

Please if someone can suggest their views regarding my DS who is in a good but tricky situation. :roll:

He has cleared Bucks exam and has scored a score of 342.58 in Reading ( we are in DA).

Now we need to decide before CAF date, whether we need to take a risk to stay back in Reading and wait for the National allotment day or we move to Bucks before 14th Nov. and apply in one of the GS.

Also we checked with the Reading school and have been informed that last year's max SS 412.89 was not achieved by someone, it was actually the max score possible.

Your views and your experience will be of great help.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

readingss - ses said his son was offered a place in June for this year's entry with 342.2 So I wouldn't want to make any prediction either way about your son. Do you actually want to move to Bucks? (In the next fortnight???) There are other schools here - if you really couldn't move and your son didn't get a Reading place, where would your son go?

GuttedDad - sorry your son had a bad day at Reading. Again, yes, you will have to move to put him in a grammar school, but he might still do well not at a grammar :) Tough decisions ahead, I feel for you both.
marcella1

Post by marcella1 »

My son passed with 341.5 so I imagine he'll go onto the waiting list. I will still put Reading first and my local catchment school second. A bright child should do well in most environments.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now