CEM test for Berks and Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11+ crazy

Re: CEM test for Berks and Bucks

Post by 11+ crazy »

Hi,

My son has done some CEM practice papers available on the market. But I think we haven't done enough of them. Could the forum help to make a 'must do book list to go through before appearing Bucks and Berks CEM test 2014'? This'll help mum like me who is new to 11+ topics.

Many thanks,
BamberG

Post by BamberG »

Book your child on some of the moderated exams organised by ElevenPlus. Good value for money, gives you a position within the cohort sitting the exam and shows what your child (or yourself) are lacking.

I've picked up that my child should know how to work out the area of a pentagon and the apothem rule, the meaning of the word 'neurotic' and 53/625 as a percentage.

It will also bring home to you what you're putting your child through and is excellent prep for the actual day!
11+ crazy

Post by 11+ crazy »

Thanks for your advice. My son is struggling for vocabulary. He knows some of the extraordinary words but he gets stuck to some not do difficult ones! Any tips for teaching CEM vocab to boys?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Area of a Pentagon, unless it has been broken down into smaller triangles with both base length and perp given and certainly apothem rules are not any part of the year 5 curriculum and would not feature on a bucks 11+paper, if it did the primary teachers would be out in their masses complaining.
11+ crazy

Post by 11+ crazy »

Warwickshire CEM is happening before Bucks and Berks. If a child has applied to all three tests becz of a potential job transfer of one of the parents, would that be a problem. I have read in some councils website that they will only take the marks of the first CEM test that the child sits. However, bucks council and slough consortium website does not say so. They told me that they will only accept their own test result, not any other CEM test result irrespective whether the other test takes place before their own test. What are your thoughts on this?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

My understanding is, first CEM score only applies to schools sharing the same test eg. Reading Boys, Kendrick girls and Slough consortium (all on 13th September). Bucks will probably have a different test so score sharing across bucks and berks wouldn't work.
Also, when score is shared, test registration form explicitly mentions about the specified sharing arrangements(with school names) and asks parents to tick the score sharing check box for parents' permission to share. At least in berks it did.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

11+ crazy wrote:Warwickshire CEM is happening before Bucks and Berks. If a child has applied to all three tests becz of a potential job transfer of one of the parents, would that be a problem.
This has been well documented in another Berkshire thread.....in fact a lot of Reading/Slough children already have the Wolverhampton test (1st July) under their belt!

I'm not sure if its beneficial doing 3 proper tests in the space of a week but good luck to you if that's what you choose to do. If CEM do take the first score then there are a lot of Berkshire children who would be really happy as they seem to have walked the Wolverhampton CEM test.

We can talk about exam tourism until we are blue in the face but sadly this does not stop the parents from applying :o
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Add tiffins and qe to those three sonasona, this poor boy is in for a stressful and intense time, op which are your local schools?
As the others have said I believe each cem test in those regions will be marked independently.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

southbucks3 wrote:Add tiffins and qe to those three sonasona, this poor boy is in for a stressful and intense time
all in a school week too :(
11+ crazy

Post by 11+ crazy »

Thanks for your thoughts...
Much appreciated,
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now