Got 110 in Slough Test, is it feasible to go for Appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
logadas

Got 110 in Slough Test, is it feasible to go for Appeal?

Post by logadas »

Hi There,

My DD got 110 in Slough Consortium test(cut off is 111), really unexpected. is there any good chances if we go for an appeal?. She is very enthusiastic and multi talented in extra curricular activities such as Tennis, Dance, Vocal, Music etc.... her school HT will ready to give her full support. Thank you in advance for your valuable inputs.

Logadas.
chad

Re: Got 110 in Slough Test, is it feasible to go for Appeal?

Post by chad »

Being one mark off the cut off, your dc was very close to being in top 30%.
Appeals are seen as being hard to win as far as the consortium is concerned.
You must (above all else) show that your child should have achieved well beyond the cut off mark. Evidence of academic high ability is the main part of the appeal, as that is the criteria for gaining a school place. Support of the HT along with this evidence is helpful. SATS and CATS levels (if taken) can be a good indicator.
If one score (VR or NVR) was lower than the other then evidence of high ability in the lower score may show that it was not indicative of the child's usual ability.
logadas

Post by logadas »

Thanks Chad for your valuable inputs.

She scored: VR-113 & NVR-106. She used to score well in NVR but I don't know what exactly happened in the test, except she didn't attend 4 questions as she bit panicked with the section time.
She didn't do the CAT, however she did the SAT.
Academically she is in the levels between 4a - 5b so far in year 5.
She is been appointed as school councilor for last two years.
Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Logadas
chad

Post by chad »

If your daughter has high maths levels then you would have a better chance of her ability contradicting her lower NVR score, she has achieved the level in VR, although you need to convince the panel that your child should have achieved higher across the board. The more evidence of very high ability the better.
logadas

Post by logadas »

logadas

Post by logadas »

Hi There,

Thanks for the previous replies for my query. Now, I am preparing for appeal. In the CAF I have listed as 1. Langley Grammar 2. Upton Court 3. St. Bernards. Which school more positively we could go for the appeal and getting more chances?, (My child got 110 in consortium test). Physically we are living very closed to Langley grammar (cross distance: half a mile) than Upton court and St. Bernards. Please I need an advice. Thanks in advance.
chad

Post by chad »

Historically Langley has a higher cut off score than Upton and St bernards.

You are closer to Langley (but they only select on rank order).

St Bernards also have a 'Faith' criteria.

The appeal panel is completely independent of the school so whatever you choose it will be down to the 3/4 people on the panel.

The appeal in Slough Consortium will be for non-qualification and oversubscription.

So..... you will have to prove academic ability and why the school is the school that will suit your child.

If you win your appeal you will be offered a place.
logadas

Post by logadas »

Furthermore, is it good to go for appeal for more than one school, I mean can we appeal for Langley Grammar as well as Upton Court?

(We are not particularly prefer for any school, all the way we need which school got more possibility to succeed our appeal.)

Thanks
chad

Post by chad »

As far as I know you can appeal for all and any school you have named on your CAF.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now