Reading Boys or QE Barnet?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
berks_mum

Re: Reading Boys or QE Barnet?

Post by berks_mum »

takeiteasy wrote:
Reading2015 wrote:I have heard Maths department is great at RBS but Physics is not so good. I know someone who dropped physics at A2 level for this reason.
Thank you. I saw "none" took Business Studies, computer science and DT in A level from RBS in 2013, where other good schools encourage these subjects as well (though small number of boys take them). But RBS surprised me as none took them. Any thoughts / information?
Most of the good Universities prefer traditional subjects hence schools schools try to stick to them as much as possible.
Business studies is considered as a dubious subject by these universities.

I thought there was an old post on these lines. Can't remember the exact school name (HBS or QE?) where they give a list of subjects to choose from. I am not sure if RBS does it but if it has the same process then it might restrict DCs from choosing some subjects.
Nims

Post by Nims »

takeiteasy wrote:I believe some of the other parents are on the same boat as myself. Confused and trying to take an informed decision between Reading Boys and QE Barnet. Can we have a constructive discussion re pros and cons between these two rivals and the reasons why you chose one over the other.....many thanks!!

Takeiteasy.
If we go by league tables, Reading Boys is way behind QE. Also, QE infrastructure is far better than Reading Boys. Sports is not a priority in QE and so is the case with Reading Boys. Reading Boys also has the drawback of getting talented boys from the catchment only however in case of QE, its an open field for boys across UK hence more competitive. QE, although has the reputation of culling low performing students in later years however I believe that might be the case with many other schools as well. Even the no. of students going to Oxbridge is much higher for QE vis-a-vis Reading boys (as per their websites).

Therefore, in my opinion, unless you live in Berks and not open to relocate, QE is any day a better choice.
lovingmom

Post by lovingmom »

Both schools are excelling academically. Don't go through the league table, they're often a guide only. As you will see they fluctuate depending on the level of the year group. I've seen many academically excellent boys from RBS too.

QE is normally fit for boys who are academic and can take the pressure and high expectations...

Some boys who get in QE (heavy tutoring may be blamed for this!), may find it difficult to continue there, go to the bottom sets, finally withdraw... Some of them score high in the entrance test, age standardisation could be blamed for this. As parents, you might consider QE's A level subject cull too. If you're in RBS catchment, why taking the hassles of moving?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

If we go by league tables, Reading Boys is way behind QE
What year was this? I thought RBS was on the 7th position nationally (GCSE results) whereas QE was on 3rd position. Did I see something wrong? Let me see if I find the link later on Today.

BTW, slightly off topic, where can I find no. of students going to Oxbridge for any given school?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Sorry I meant to say GCSE results as I find it easier to follow. Here is the link for 2014 -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Percentage of A*/A for QE boys is 89.98 and Reading is 87.53.

Hope this helps.
lovingmom

Post by lovingmom »

I've seen my friend going through the same dilemma, in the end they opted for RBS for a range of reasons. For them, the main deciding factors were uncertainty of choosing A level subjects in QE (might have affected DS's career in future), they were also very bold to think that DS might have done good in 11 plus exam because of tutoring and age standardisation but lacks subject knowledge in other core subjects so there is potential for him to go to the bottom sets in QE. Other few practical reasons were substantial expenditure in travelling, buying a house with minimum £100-£150k extra...

I don't know what your priorities are. If not the league table, then RBS is nothing less than QE. If you're in the catchment, you're sure to get there as your DS has scored so high. But that can ONLY happen if you put RBS as first preference in the CAF.
Nims

Post by Nims »

berks_mum wrote:
If we go by league tables, Reading Boys is way behind QE
What year was this? I thought RBS was on the 7th position nationally (GCSE results) whereas QE was on 3rd position. Did I see something wrong? Let me see if I find the link later on Today.

BTW, slightly off topic, where can I find no. of students going to Oxbridge for any given school?
Please refer below A level tables. A level results present the better picture as these are better indicators for selection in Oxbridge and other univ. as well.

List of students going to Oxbridge can be seen on schools' websites as most good schools publish those.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... hools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... hools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you for the links. I didn't think A level results were more important than GCSE thank you for letting me know.

My observations:
QE: Gone down from 98.34 in 2013 to 95.97 in 2014 (entries 471)
RBS: Gone down from 91.83 in 2013 to 88.12 in 2014 (entries 564)
QE is position 1 and Reading position 10, same for both years.

Questions:
1) Does RBS have a sixth form cull?
2) Is this(positions) a highly significant difference? Honestly no idea at all.
Nims

Post by Nims »

berks_mum wrote:Thank you for the links. I didn't think A level results were more important than GCSE thank you for letting me know.

My observations:
QE: Gone down from 98.34 in 2013 to 95.97 in 2014 (entries 471)
RBS: Gone down from 91.83 in 2013 to 88.12 in 2014 (entries 564)
QE is position 1 and Reading position 10, same for both years.

Questions:
1) Does RBS have a sixth form cull?
2) Is this(positions) a highly significant difference? Honestly no idea at all.
berks_mum, I would suggest not to go by League tables only. It should be one of your selection criteria and not the only one. In our case, DS cleared RBS, QE, Wilson's, St. Olave's, Bucks etc last year however after considering all parameters, we decided to go for Wilson's. Btw, we shifted from Reading to Surrey as well so that the kid doesn't have to travel so much. Its been 2 months since DS has been going to Wilson's now and we are very happy with our choice.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

berks_mum wrote:Sorry I meant to say GCSE results as I find it easier to follow. Here is the link for 2014 -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Percentage of A*/A for QE boys is 89.98 and Reading is 87.53.

Hope this helps.
I checked the RBS website today, there is no update of 2014 results which is a bit surprising to me as the results were out in Aug , it should not take more than 2 months to compile the data and put it on the website :roll:
http://www.reading-school.co.uk/21/exam-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now