Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
arch2000

Reading Boys 2016 entry

Post by arch2000 »

Hi ,

Welcome to Reading boys 2016 entry.

I am doing DIY with my DS. My DS is hard working. In parents meeting, his teachers told that he is in level 5 in English and maths now. They also told that he has the potential for 11+.

We have only 9 months more. I am feeling very tensed. He seems very enthusiastic and cool.

We have been doing bond papers and cgp. Trying to do atleast 1 VR, 1NVR and 1 maths paper weekly.

Sometimes we try to squeeze in schofield and sims mental arithmetic book 5.

Has anyone tried *** Advertising Censored ***? Is it useful?

Thanks,
arch2000.
svk2015

Re: Reading Boys 2016 entry

Post by svk2015 »

Hello arch2000

DS found *** Advertising Censored *** useful and fun. With hindsight, I would have paid more attention to vocabulary and comprehension. You can try "11+ Spelling and Vocabulary: Workbook ... by Stephen C. Curran", starting from book 7 or 8. Found The New First Aid in English by Angus Maciver and Junior English Revised with answers by Haydn Richards to be very good for English. Also used Schofield and Sims books. The former two are far more comprehensive though and good for vocabulary as well. For maths I used Collins Easy Learning KS3 Maths Revision as it covers the maths topics well. As far as papers are concerned, I think you are right to focus on CGP. But I would use a good variety of papers if I did it in case the format changes again. I think shuffled sentences came up as well.

Good luck to your DS.
arch2000

Post by arch2000 »

Thanks svk2015 for your input.

Regarding New First Aid in English , how did go about using them. My son finds it very boring. Did learn the whole book?

I have never tried Collins Easy Learning KS3 Maths Revision. Let me try this.

Thanks again.
svk2015

Post by svk2015 »

No, not the whole book of course. Would be hard to achieve that, but word lists in these books are useful, as is grammar, which does come up in papers. Comprehension exercises were good, and I though there was a lot of useful general knowledge stuff. Agree it is tedious.

Cheers
arch2000

Post by arch2000 »

Thanks svk2015. My son will be very glad to hear it.

DS is very studious. But he makes lots of careless mistakes. He finds it very hard to focus.

Can anyone suggest some ways to improve his concentration. He says that he gets bored (???) with his work easily.
Hardly works for an hr.

Thanks and regards,
arch.
svk2015

Post by svk2015 »

From my experience, it is very difficult to rule our careless mistakes. I suppose the idea would be to try to minimize the number of such errors. Going through topics, better understanding of subjects, rather than papers only should help. My son made inexplicable mistakes even after months of hard work.
On the other issue, I think a child needs to buy into the idea to motivate himself. Competition can help, a friend who is also doing it. I prefer joint sessions to one-to-ones for that reason.
arch2000

Post by arch2000 »

Thanks for the tips.

Recently I started doing more of worksheets than papers. Let me see whether it works.

Thanks,
arch.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now