Questions for current Kendrick parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
berks_mum

Re: Questions for current Kendrick parents

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Reading Mum and Tinkers. YOur posts are very appreciated.
MumHere

Post by MumHere »

DD1 takes the train and is home by 4.15pm. She does evening activities twice a week and some weekend activities too. She does piano in school. Her routine is pretty much set on days she has no evening activities - snack, homework, dinner, texting friends :lol: , reading and then lights out. She does tend to stay late reading though now that she is older and can no longer go to bed at 8.30pm! Many girls have after school activities including many doing their DOE on weekdays. It is important to establish a routine from the start so that they are not overwhelmed in year 7 as everything is new. School is quite relaxed in year 7 so that does give the girls a chance to settle down fairly quickly. As Tinkers said, plenty of sleep in the first few weeks and take it easy :). That should keep them going for the next 7 years ;)
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks MumHere. Yes, it is important to get into routine as soon as possible.

Anyone knows if the school offers singing?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Junior choir for years 7 and 8, there is another for the older years too.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Tinkers. It is good to know about the junior choir. My DD likes choir, a bit too much to my liking, but her choice.
Are there in 1 to 1/shared singing lessons probably offered by Berkshire maestros?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

No idea about singing lessons. I'll ask DD, but doubt she wil know. DD isn't here atm, as she currently navigating her way back home from the other side of Reading by herself, requires a change of buses in a part of Reading she isn't that familiar with.

(Sort of a proud mummy moment going on here :D ).

Eta
Looking at the last page of the prospectus, BM do offer voice lessons, however it also says they offer piano, and I know that is not true. Might be worth asking BM direct or contacting the music staff at Kendrick.

http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/wp-c ... ersion.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

Hello

Just wondered if I could ask about the canteen at Kendrick. I remember it being a small area and the children take food out and eat elsewhere. Could I ask what the food is like ? My daughter isn't a fussy eater, but she eats a good healthy amount. I've always thought primary school food was a bit flavourless and portions were too small. (sorry for any dinner ladies out there that I have now offended) ! Is it any better than this at Kendrick ? And is there time for a Y7 to queue up and actually get something ? I have heard of this being an issue.
Just completing my joining booklet of paperwork and wondering whether to tick the packed lunch or paid food option ?

Thanks in advance.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think the food is pretty average but DD can't be bothered with packed lunches so she eats from the canteen almost always. There is an old menu on the website which will give you an idea of the offerings - it is a 3 week rotation. There is always a pasta option.
Once recent improvement is that for Fish and chips on a Friday they operate a pre-booking system so they book and pay for that meal earlier in the week, then on the day they just pick up the box already prepared for them. Previously DD never bothered with the F&C as the queue was so long it didn't leave time to eat.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD gets food from the cateen, but often gets it at first break rather than lunch, as that's only an hour before hand. The canteen is small but the girls often take food back to their classrooms. As far as I can see they 'free range' during lunch times. DD will get a baguette, pasta, sometimes pizza. Doesn't like fish so Friday isn't an issue. Apparently the food is 'fine'. It's the queues that is the biggest problem.
DD is slow getting to the canteen, so the queue can be quite long by then. However this hasn't inspired her to take a packed lunch instead.
I wouldn't worry too much about the tick box though.
Village Mum

Post by Village Mum »

Thank you both. I figured they wouldn't hopefully hold me to the tick in the box. But I did wonder what most people do. That gives me some insight. Thanks again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now