Questions for current Kendrick parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Re: Questions for current Kendrick parents

Post by Reading Mum »

I think the tick box just relates to setting up the fingerprint system for paying in the canteen - I can't see why you wouldn't do that as, even if they do packed lunch, then they might want a snack at break or a slushy on a hot day.

btw on day 1 they get a voucher for a free lunch (fingerprints not yet setup) and they get let out to lunch a bit early so that they can find their way.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Now that the allocation anxiety is gone, offer accepted, forms filled in and posted…no looking back from here. DD had her first question about Kendrick Today :)

When we arrived at her school I asked her if there was any homework/kits she was supposed to bring Today? She thought for a moment and her face shrunk…."I forgot my homework. Can we go home?". I looked at the time and there was no way we could have gone home, picked her sheet and come back to school in time. I asked her if I should write a note to her Teacher saying she has done it but forgot to bring it. She refused. She said she will do it again in break time or else she will tell the teacher and they will accept. Her words, "My teacher knows I don't lie and I am sincere in my work." Then she asked how will it be next year? She has this idea that secondaries are very strict, give detentions and expect the DCs to be very organised and disciplined. This is something I would like to find out from existing parents.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

they do want the girls to be organised but that is not expected on day 1. I haven't heard tell of any detentions yet and we are in yr 8.
I have had a text from school when she was 1 minute late for registration though :shock:
BlueSmarties

Post by BlueSmarties »

I've heard of detentions for bad behaviour :shock: But haven't heard of detentions for forgotten homework :D

We found there was a lot of homework in the autumn term, lots of events they could join in with (interform dance, house music, baking etc.) and found the 1st term very busy. Now? around 3 pieces of homework per week.
MumHere

Post by MumHere »

Yes never heard of detentions. Think they will highlight if it becomes an issue and the end of year report will reflect this - points marked for 'punctuality' and 'deadlines'.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD has forgotten a couple of times. 'Bring it in tomorrow' has been the response. I think if it's happening a lot then they will do something about it.
They get a homework diary which helps.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thank you for your posts, DD will will feel reassured :)
rajster

Post by rajster »

Hi,

Does Kendrick encourage sports and allow time-off to children to play in national competitions?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There is certainly plenty of sports clubs.

I seem to remember in a recent newsletter that one girl played netball for England. I know girls in DDs year who play badminton at a high level too.

PE is offered at both gcse and A level

Eta
First newsletter I went back to look at. See the last page.
http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/wp-c ... 013-14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

I've heard a UK or England canoeing team member is at Kendrick.