A Young Woman's perogative

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
paula

A Young Woman's perogative

Post by paula »

Well after being quite determined to try for Kendrick since she was 7 years old my DD has changed her mind!
I have to say I was not that impressed at the open eve but she still was so we seemed to be heading in that direction but the next morning she was very quiet and eventually said that she'd changed her mind.
This week I've sent in her admission form to the LEA and we shall be off to Holt in Wokingham in Sept.
Just grateful we are in catchment for such a good school and she will at least be going to the same school as many of her friends.
Good luck to all of you still taking the Kendrick route. :D
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Paula,
As I said before it's a 'Win, Win' situation. With such an excellent school on your doorstep, such as 'The Holt', it could be nothing less.
You've made the right decision for your daughter. She also has the added bonus of staying with her friends, and presumably a much shorter journey too. :D

The problem with Grammars, appears that they don't feel they need to do much to sell themselves. I felt the same upon visiting Reading with my son.
If it wasn't for the fact that he knows, quite a few boys who already attend, and that a few of his friends who are also trying for a place, I think after visiting our catchment school, he would of gone in that direction too. (It's only from acquaintances, whose children already attend, that I hear stories of such excellent practice, that keeps me focused too. :? )

I wish you and your daughter the very best. She seems like the enterprising type of child who will do well anywhere!! :D

BW
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Paula,

A wise and brave decision, thanks for sharing it's so easy to get drawn into the Kendrick or bust mentality.

Shame that the exam is not earlier so you could have the result before sending in CAF.

At the weekend had a long conversation with a parent who is struggling with preparation for Kendrick 2008 they to are edging towards "banking" the local option and not going through the pain of preparation. I am sure many others are thinking the same.

stevew61
Ella

Post by Ella »

Hi Paula,

I can sort of empathise.... my DD has been wavering about Kendrick for several months now and, it would not surprise me at all, if DD gets up on 16th November and says "I don't really want to go to Kendrick so I'm not doing the test".

There is one main thing keeping her going and that is that her best friend is also trying for Kendrick and is, frankly, desperate to go there. Both girls are academically able, but there is no guarantee of them both getting in, in fact, there is probably more chance [statistically] of neither getting in!

We have also reached the point, with regards to preparation, that because DD's 'heart is not really in it', she does not want to do any practise, particulary NVR - her least favoured.

At the moment, she is still in the race, but for how much longer, I don't know.

Ella
paula

Post by paula »

Thanks for all the positive comments.
DD really happy and very positive about her decision.
Currently although we live in Holt catchment we attend an Embrook feeder school. There are however about 5 other girls in the same position and since my DD announced that she was going to Holt I have found out that they have all decided to follow her too. Great boost for her confidence!
I shall keep watching the board to see how everyone gets on.
Best of Luck to you all
Paula and DD. :D
committed

a young womans perogative

Post by committed »

I'm all for allowing dd to choose, but at this stage I hope its not last minute nerves and easy way out that is influencing their minds. Surely they have worked hard over the last year and it seems a waste of time and effort on their part not to do the exam now? I wish them all the best whatever they decide
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now