Is moving Maidenhead is good?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ramesheuk

Is moving Maidenhead is good?

Post by ramesheuk »

Hi,

Need some advice. At the moment we are living close to Langley grammar school (Post code SL3 8 - so, we are in their new catchment area) and thinking of moving to Maidenhead or not.

As per Langley grammar school's new admission policy, we should be in their new catchment area (post codes SL3 8 ) for getting in to that. But if we stayed there, we will lose other schools.

Is it better idea to move to Maidenhead and try for all other schools (by loosing Langley grammer school) or stay in my current location (SL3 8 ) and loose other schools.

Please suggest.
SummersLazy

Re: Is moving Maidenhead is good?

Post by SummersLazy »

girl or boy?

which are your other schools? Maidenhead will bring you into kendricks catchment. Unsure about Reading boys. Which are the schools you will be losing out from langley? SL1 6 taplow might be a compromise. But again depends on which school are we discussing about
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

rameshuk,

There are certain postcodes I am told which are common to Reading, Slough as well as Bucks (SWBGS out of county catchment). So if you move to those postcodes then you don't have to sacrifice Langley at all. :)

I know of friends who lived there and could qualify for all the three area schools. And this year some are moving out of Slough area to Maindenhead just for this reason.
I am not sure of the specific postcodes though I can find out from my friend if you can not figure it out from the Internet.

best of luck

IM
ramesheuk

Post by ramesheuk »

Hi,

Thanks all for your reply.

It is for my Son

Yes, I am thinking for some post codes which covers Bucks as well. But since Langley Grammar School started a new Local Catchment Area system (from this year) which will look only for SL38, and these post codes won't cover Bucks schools, I am really confused...
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

Sorry to hear this, I think Langley has come to know about this Maidenhead postcodes with common catchment of Reading School Bucks and Slough so they have tried to eliminate that.

Very tricky situation for you now.

You have to take a call looking at your son's performance. If you think that there are chances that he might get into Reading School then may be you can still shift and let go Langley you will still have other two schools in Slough Bucks and Reading Boys.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

This is not the correct understanding of Langley's new admission policy.
indiemom wrote:Sorry to hear this, I think Langley has come to know about this Maidenhead postcodes with common catchment of Reading School Bucks and Slough so they have tried to eliminate that.

Very tricky situation for you now.

You have to take a call looking at your son's performance. If you think that there are chances that he might get into Reading School then may be you can still shift and let go Langley you will still have other two schools in Slough Bucks and Reading Boys.
ramesheuk wrote:Hi,

Thanks all for your reply.

It is for my Son

Yes, I am thinking for some post codes which covers Bucks as well. But since Langley Grammar School started a new Local Catchment Area system (from this year) which will look only for SL38, and these post codes won't cover Bucks schools, I am really confused...
Suggest that you read the full admission policy. Differentiate between the General Admission area (overall catchment) and the newly created Local Admission Area (inner catchment).
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I wasn't aware that Langley has created an inner catchment area. Is it a draft in consultation or finalised version?

OP, since you live in the inner catchment does your DS just have to pass to get in? If so, it is a good deal for you. Living in SL3 you probably are in the catchment of other Slough in addition to Langley. You may also be in catchment of Burnham Grammar.
These are the SL post codes in Reading Boys catchment -
SL4 4
SL5 0, SL5 7, SL5 8 & SL5 9
SL6 1, SL6 2, SL6 3, SL6 4, SL6 5, SL6 6 & SL6 7
This is the link -
http://www.reading-school.co.uk/98/designated-area
Langley outer catchment may cover SL5 and SL6 areas. Are you willing to move to those areas?

This year Bucks schools allocations have gone a long way. Which Bucks schools are you interested in?