Reading Grammar 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

wokinghamguest wrote: it sounds like it's going to come down to who made the least, err, schoolboy errors :)
What a frightening thought! :shock:

That means you could be looking at 94%+ on all the papers, to stand a chance.
They don't make it tough, do they?

Post by Guest »

I read somewhere that the english essay is used as a sort of tie-breaker ? (nobody give the title away please or the thread will vanish!!) We were joking around this morning and I said 'pick a great, descriptive word you can slip in whatever the subject', he said 'Mahogany!' . No idea if he managed to use it! LOL!
Bewildered wrote:What a frightening thought! :shock:
On the flip side - what excellent news for next years senior school intake across mid-berkshire :)

I'm sure most of the lads there today will flourish at the local comp. We've been torn all along because we have a fine school 2 minutes from the front door. If our son doesn make RB he'll have hours less travelling every week, and I hope we'd be prudent enought to use it wisely ;)
guest99

Oh so it wasn't just mine saying how easy it was !!

Post by guest99 »

He and chum came out smiling using words like 'easy' and 'practice papers were much harder ' mmmmmmmm ? I was doing ok 'til he commented how quickly he'd finished the English paper and therefore how much checking time he'd had - uh oh !

I have to say though having witnessed the process today I am in awe of how chilled ( and no I don't mean the weather !) all the boys I saw were at their tender age . I have heaps of respect for them all

Whatever the outcome mine feels he's really achieved something just being there and so it's set him up nicely for other entrance exams in January and his tests in May so feel glad we did it .

Good luck to you all and this thread 's been really helpful this past few weeks so cheers for starting it :lol:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

BW, wokingham guest, guest99 and others,

Well done to your boys. Last year mine came out happy but had doubts later, you tend to remember the hard questions. Best not to over analyse or the long wait will seem worse. :D :D .

Happy to share detailed experiences by PM so we can store them and keep them fresh for next years newbies, they just don't know how emotionally extreme this eleven plus experience can be.

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Just sprung to mind, that DS said that there were over 500 candidates this year.
Just as expected the numbers have risen. Probably due to new 'equal preference', rules on applying to Secondary.
Wonder if this includes, all candidates, or just the day pupils?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Bewildered wrote:Just sprung to mind, that DS said that there were over 500 candidates this year.
Just as expected the numbers have risen. Probably due to new 'equal preference', rules on applying to Secondary.
Wonder if this includes, all candidates, or just the day pupils?
Hi BW,

The figure in the moving on guide of 450 for 112 places is we think the total of day and boarders. So about 400 day last year.

From school website non-UK boarders can still apply,

The closing
date for 11+ boarding applications to
Reading School is Tuesday 8th January
2008, although parents resident in
England must include an application to the
LA by Wednesday 24 October 2007. Tests
will be set in Mathematics, English and
Reasoning and these will take place at the
School on Thursday 10th January 2008.

So I agree looks like numbers have increased. :cry:

But that will make your success even sweeter, roll on Mad March 2008. :D :D

stevew61
Guest111

Reading Boys

Post by Guest111 »

Any idea how much % should be scored to get a seat in Reading boys School? Based on the discussions I had with my son about all the 3 papers, I am expecting he would get between 85-88% (tentative). I know it is very difficult to estimate but this is just my gut feeling based on his feedback about the exam. Any ideas whether this % is enough to get the seat?

Thanks!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Usual health warning it varies from year to year and kids can be unreliable at estimating. :wink:

From 2006 we have,

Quote:
I din't cry at the result but reading all your lovely comments has started me off !
Steve, the 100th score was 335.2. I believe this is out of 400, so 83.75%. My son got the equivalent of around 82 %. Also fyi 442 canditates took the test - hope this helps those next year

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... c&start=15

So you are in the ball park, good luck.

stevew61
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Any idea how much % should be scored to get a seat in Reading boys School? Based on the discussions I had with my son about all the 3 papers, I am expecting he would get between 85-88% (tentative).
Don't forget the extra player in town this year. Age weighting. If your child was born nearer to August they won't have to get as high a score as children born from September onwards.

Agree with Stevew61(again!), that the major factor is down to the strength of the overall cohort who sat the tests.

Post by Guest »

Bewildered wrote:Don't forget the extra player in town this year. Age weighting. If your child was born nearer to August they won't have to get as high a score as children born from September onwards.
IIRC this would make a -2 weighing for boys born early September and a +2 weighting for those born late August.