Historic data on Reading admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Foreseer

Re: Historic data on Reading admissions

Post by Foreseer »

Medlar wrote:Thanks Tinkers - just found this on Reading School website for anyone else not yet seen full info at link excerpt below:
http://www.reading-school.co.uk/attachm ... 0&type=pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"How many candidates sat the entrance test for Reading School for entry in September 2018?
A A total of 737 candidates sat the test at Reading School and a further total 238 candidates sat the test at another venue and
requested that their results be shared with Reading School.
Q What was the highest total standardised score achieved for entry to Reading School?
A The highest total standardised score achieved was 126.34
Q How many candidates who took the test achieved Reading School’s qualifying score or above?
A 317 candidates achieved the qualifying score or above.
Q How many day applicants who took the test achieved the qualifying score or above and were living in the designated
area as at 31st August 2017?
A 195 candidates who have applied for a day place achieved the qualifying score or above and were living within the designated
area as at 31st August 2017.
Q How many boarding applicants who took the test achieved the qualifying score or above?
A 19 candidates who have applied for a boarding place achieved the qualifying score or above.
Q What was the lowest mark achieved by a candidate that was offered a place last year for September 2017 entry?
A The pass mark for entry in September 2017 was 108.00
For day places the lowest qualifying mark that was admitted in September 2017 was 109.11
For boarding places, the lowest qualifying mark that was admitted in September 2017 was 108.08"
In 2018, 317 candidates achieved the 108 qualifying score, the highest mark was 139 something (if my memory serves me right) and the lowest qualification mark for admission for last year was 108.08 (boarder), the academic achievement gap between the top (ranked 1) and the bottom (ranked over 300) is big.
Last edited by Foreseer on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Foreseer wrote: ** removed since it quoted a post that has now been deleted **
My first thought on that is - what a breach of confidentiality. Given that there are only a maximum of 12 boarders in yr 7 a teacher should have no business discussing such things outside of school.
Also, if they can't get a boarder to complete homework then what is going on there.
Last edited by Reading Mum on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foreseer

Post by Foreseer »

I have just deleted my previous message, it wasn't because of breach of confidentiality (no name was revealed) but your over reaction. I certainly do not want to make a small discussion into a disaster. My intention is to let parents (incl. myself) know that we should not overly push our kids into a school which is beyond their ability.
semb

Post by semb »

Foreseer wrote:I have just deleted my previous message, it wasn't because of breach of confidentiality (no name was revealed)
Foreseer - I think it's really important to distinguish between anonymity and confidentiality. Your message kept things anonymous as the child in question's name wasn't revealed - but it is a breach of confidentiality. The test for this is whether the child themselves, or their parent, or members of staff involved with them would recognise which child was being spoken about from what you had posted. With a maximum of only 12 boarders, my guess is that the child would be identifiable. Therefore, it is a breach of confidentiality. And that's just your post. The staff member concerned shouldn't be speaking about other people's children to you in such a specific way anyway.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Some additional info for 2018 entry..
ConfusedFather wrote:
tonyheung wrote:Stumbled across the FOI files too, slightly different stats from your summary below.
ConfusedFather wrote:It's been a while I haven't posted, but I just stumbled upon some numbers and thought I'd share the fun! (yes, I love data, sue me! :mrgreen: )

It is based on the following official FoI data https://www.reading-school.co.uk/page/? ... sts&pid=65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, which contains anonymised score for the entire 2018 cohort as well as OoC status.

* 975 children took the test
* 666 were in catchment, 199200 scored the minimum of 108.
* the estimated last admitted child was ranked 241 overall (about top 25%), and 148149 within the in-catchment cohort (about top 22%), with a score of 110.59.
* the above would imply that there are only up to 16 children in the waiting list got offered a place
* around that cut-off score, a one point difference would push you up 35 places or down 33 places
* the overall average score is 100 (due to standardisation), the median 101.4
* for in-catchment, the average is 98.5 and the median 100.4
* for in catchment students, 51 had the required score of 108 but were below the cut-off point.
* for in-catchment, you can use a rough rule of thumb saying that each point range contains 15-20 students as long as you are in the 105-115 range

I'll update if I spot any errors or think of other interesting data points.

You are correct, seems I had a strict >108 criteria and one kid had the audacity of getting a perfect 108.00 :lol:
Carlady

Post by Carlady »

Foreseer/semb/Reading Mum, what was the deleted post please?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Carlady wrote:Foreseer/semb/Reading Mum, what was the deleted post please?
It’s a while ago, but the deleted post mentioned info that could possible identify a student at the school, hence why it was deleted.
nazishadnan

Post by nazishadnan »

Hi
A friends Son got 114 and they live in Maidenhead. Where can I get some more statistics for Reading boys. Should we put it as our first choice.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The first page of this thread is as much as you need tbh, to make a decision and you should be fine with that score.

If it’s your first choice, put it first.
Mammame

Post by Mammame »

Hi, first time on here! Does anyone know the furthest distance offered to Reading Boys school please?
Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now