out-of-catchment chance in Reading School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chenny1017

out-of-catchment chance in Reading School?

Post by chenny1017 »

Is it definitely no chance at all even scoring high if you live out of the catchment area?

My son scored 121 but unfortunately I live out of the catchment. I put my son down for boarding but another unfortunate thing is that his dad lost the job who used to agree to share the boarding fee. I am struggling to pay the fee on my own. At the mean time I feel so gutted that he couldn't go. We have been working together hard for 6 months and he achieved a good score. :( :( and he really like the school.

Does anyone know whether Reading School will still do 13+ considering they increase 38 more intake this year for day places?
Tinkers

Re: out-of-catchment chance in Reading School?

Post by Tinkers »

Realistically I don't think you will get a place ooc.

However the number of places has increased, so never say never. They haven't allocated places ooc in the past before as far as I know though.

They are stopping the 13+ entry. There will be no 13+ entry for the current year 7s and those after. It won't be an option for you.
chenny1017

Post by chenny1017 »

Tinkers,

Thanks for your reply. I know the chance is very slim = almost no but just difficult to face the reality.

Even no chance to change into day place in a couple years time by house move etc. if they drop the 13+. But it will be equally no good for him if he go to board for a few years and has to leave because I am not able to afford the fee any more.

Really hard decision to make.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

chenny1017,

First of all heartiest congratulations to you and your DS for scoring such score.

I can feel your position with such high score. :( Till 2014 entry, the catchment was enforced by 31st Jan of the entry. Reading School changed it to time of registration for current Year 7 (who appeared in Sep 2014 exam). If you were 2014 entry then you could have easily moved to catchment before next Jan.
it seems there are 189 students with passing scores inside the catchment. So if around 50 plus inside catchment pupil goes to some other schools then they will take from outside catchment and if there are only handful of interested students scoring higher than your DS, your DS will get a place.

Unfortunately no 13+ exams for RS anymore :( but yes, if there are any dropouts in Year 7 then they call first 30 waiting list students in the catchment to appear for exam I heard.

So by moving into the catchment you might be able to get a place like that but there is no guarantee that there will be any place available after Year 7 in 2017.
One of our friend's son got into Reading School in 2014 Sep in Year 8 like that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now