11 Plus information required

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BezuCool

Re: 11 Plus information required

Post by BezuCool »

I have selected 2 schools; Tiffin in Kingston and Slough which takes a common test for all schools.

My wife will drive and its under an hour journey each way (rush hour included)

Otherwise, I would apply for flexi hours in my office.
mad?

Post by mad? »

BezuCool wrote: My wife will drive and its under an hour journey each way (rush hour included)
Your poor wife :shock:

Out of interest, what was it you particularly liked about TGS and which of the Slough schools do you prefer?
mad?
BezuCool

Post by BezuCool »

Tiffin is for Girls only and it would be my first option then comes Langley.

But who knows if even she doesn’t secure a place in either at least this study would help her in the future.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

BezuCool wrote:Tiffin is for Girls only and it would be my first option then comes Langley.

But who knows if even she doesn’t secure a place in either at least this study would help her in the future.
I would visit them as well, you often get a strong feeling one way or the other when you visit. It's some journey to commit to for 7 years & of course there are after school activities & parents evenings etc to consider. Good luck whatever you decide.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

BezuCool wrote:Tiffin is for Girls only and it would be my first option then comes Langley.

Bus travel within London is free for under16s after the £20 admin fee for the Zip Oyster card. So if your DD gets into TGS there is no need for your wife to give up nigh on four hours a day, five days a week, thirty nine weeks of the year...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BezuCool

Post by BezuCool »

OMG :) What a calculation. No wonder you all are awesome.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

I've just bought a photo oyster card for my 10yo dd which cost me 15 pounds (it is a 11-15 one).

With this she'll get free bus travel on the number 81 (it being a London Transport bus) plus half price rail fair.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

I have some questions for you:

Who wants your dd to go to a grammar school? It will involve a lot of travelling so if it's her choice then she will be more willing to do all the work/ sitting on the bus etc.

Am still curious as to why you're thinking of those 2 particular schools.
Langley Grammar is the furthest from Slough train station, out of the 4 Slough grammar schools.

Deffo check out the admissions criteria of all your local schools as well as nearby grammars (Slough, Watford etc) to see what will suit you and your dd the best.

Good luck - i used the cgp 11+ for CEM books with my DD (we didn't pay for a tutor as knew that she was smart enough to cope without one. She *did* need tutoring but did it at home)

Have now started with my ds (who is also in yr4).
maxtom

Post by maxtom »

I would definitely go to the open days this September/October for any schools you are considering. Check the school websites for the dates - if they aren't on there yet they will probably publish the dates soon. There's no point going through the 11+ process if you haven't seen and liked the schools.

Also, as the others advise, try the journey on public transport. Even if your wife is willing to do the driving, there might be times when she can't, is unwell, etc. I think it's only 20 minutes or so by train to Slough from Ealing so not necessarily a long journey for your child. I don't know how long it would take to get to Tiffin. The schools should all be able to tell you whether they have any students from the Ealing area - and ask around in your local area as there are sure to be others applying or who have children already at these schools.

Check the admissions criteria for each school to see if you have a realistic chance of getting a place - they all have different criteria with regard to distance, 11+ score, religion, musical aptitude, etc.

I am not sure from reading your other messages if you have understood that the Slough Consortium only means there is a single exam for all 4 schools. I might be wrong but it sounded like you assumed there was a single application for all 4 schools? You will have to fill in one application form for the Pan London Admissions System and you can name Slough schools on this even though they are outside London. You will get 6 choices of school which you rank in your preferred order. The Slough 11+ results come out about a week before you have to submit your school application, so you will know your child's score before applying for a school place.

I'd also suggest going to visit some local schools' open days this year. Maybe you'll find one that you really like. At least you will need to put one or two local schools on your application as an insurance policy in case you don't get into one of the grammars.
BezuCool

Post by BezuCool »

Thank you very much for your kind advise.

Do you have any guidance for home preparation? Would be obliged if you can share.

Many thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now