Langley Grammar 2016 allocations......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

keerthi

Re: Langley Grammar 2016 allocations......

Post by keerthi »

asky wrote:yes they do

-Local area 118
-general area 125
One of my friend's DS has got Langley Grammar - 115 - Local Area,

I assume local area has got lot closer to 111
sooperdad

Post by sooperdad »

My understanding is everyone who scored 111 or over in local admission area is offered a place. Remaining placed are then offered to general admission area in rank order for score. Everyone who scored at least 125 has been offered a place and they started offering places to children who scored 124 based on how far they live from the school.
Osho

Post by Osho »

Hi everyone,
It seems a general consensus with most of the parents feeling that the grammar school their DC got was not what they were expecting. One of the reasons for the expectation was the availability of the previous years cut off scores for various grammar schools in slough. These scores were misleading (not wrong) and they led to wrong order of priority being filled on CAF form. It was completely wrong on parents part to assume that last year cut off scores for various schools would be same this year.
Secondly, with Langley grammar changing the rules to benefit the local catchment area students, this had a cascading effect on pushing up the cut off scores of other Grammar schools in Slough. Langley Grammar admitted 113 score inner catchment area student whereas my DS had 122 score but in general admission area, hence we and other kids with similar or higher score but less than 125 stood no chance at langley. It is ironic that the Upton court did not admit a child with 111 but Langley grammmar did on nearby score !!! for its local area students.
Anyways, the Loss of langley grammar is gain for Herschel and Upton court. There will higher ratio of high scoring kids being admitted to Herschel and Upton Court from this year onwards. If this trend continues with Langley, then in few years it will have to struggle to maintain the best results in GCSE and A levels.
I strongly believe that all Grammar schools in Slough should be open to all irrespective of catchment but only on basis of the score in 11+ exams.
Nevertheless,we got Herschel which was our second choice, but now thinking and analyzing i realise we are quite fortunate to get Herschel. Whatever happens,\happens for good.
Thanks
sooperdad

Post by sooperdad »

At a LGS open day I think they said they expected no more than 50 children to qualify under the new local catchment rules. The website says the school also plan to have another 30 places available from Sept 2016. I already have a daughter at the school and it is a definite advantage to the child to be closer. My daughter walks to school in 20 mins and tells us about children travelling for over an hour each way everyday. Some children really struggle with this, especially when they first start school.

I wonder how many children did qualify under local catchment. If it was 50 then the remaining 130 places were allocated to people scoring 125+ Or 124 depending on distance from school.

Overall I think all the grammar schools will benefit from this.
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

Its all very quiet on the forums. Hope everyone got the school they wanted.
Sonu Kumar

Post by Sonu Kumar »

Hi Osho etc .... I am planning to move from North to Langley/ Slough schools catchment area and I reckon SL3 7 is the most appropriate post code for Langley and Hershal Grammar school. I have gone thorugh various posts and understand some Slough Grammar schools have different admission policy ..

My question is what is the most prefered postcode in Slough to have a very high chances to get my kids admission in Slough grammar schools - preference Langly and Hershal ( Ofcource my son has to do well ). I read OSHO has the catachment area for both so keen to understand his postcode ...

Many Thanks in advance ..
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Have you looked on the Slough council website under school admissions? All the up to date information is there, including proposed arrangements for next year.
scary mum
Osho

Post by Osho »

Hi Mr Kumar,
Read your post. Since your good self is keen upon moving from up north, and also that your preference is for Langley and Herschel , hence any post code inside Langley inner catchment would be appropriate for yourself.
We live in southall UB1 and it is about 9 miles from Langley, Upton court, St Bernard and about 14 miles from Herschel but most of the miles are motorway miles.
I wish your DS good luck in his preparation for Grammar entrance exams.
Best regards
Osho
Sonu Kumar

Post by Sonu Kumar »

Many Thanks Osho etc. for your advise ... Wish you all the very best to your kids ..

Cheers