Herschel Grammar- Who is coming from where

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Osho

Herschel Grammar- Who is coming from where

Post by Osho »

Hi Everyone,
Got inspiration from Berkshire forum contributors to start this post.
For a start, we are from Southall and my DS has been offered admission to Herschel starting this Sept. We have been quick enough to accept the offer.
please feel free to post .
Thanks
Dadcool

Re: Herschel Grammar- Who is coming from where

Post by Dadcool »

Hi Osho,
Thanks for starting this thread.

We are from Reading. My DS has been offered admission to Herschel grammar. We have accepted the offer.
berksmum

Post by berksmum »

Hi ,
We are from Reading and my DS has been offered Herschel and we have accepted the offer
Osho

Post by Osho »

Hi Dadcool and Berksmum,
Thanks for posting.
I have been looking different forums just out of curiosity, and have seen many comments and posts about the travel time the kids have to endure to reach to and fro from school , and also desperation of parents to get the travelling arrangements sorted out for their kids.
In this regard , i feel relaxed , the reason being Herschel grammar running 2 school buses to Southall to cater to the needs of DC going to Herschel from here. last friday, i got up early and went to the school bus stop near my home and found that the bus is a double decker with about 15-20 kids waiting at the bus stop at 710am to go to herschel. The school bus takes about 45-50 minutes to school and the cost of £1150 per annum which is quite adequate.
The best thing about school bus is that if it gets late, then the kid is not going to be penalised for coming late to school, unlike private car share or taxi service. Secondly, some of the private taxi or car share service offered are not having proper insurance cover to do the commute with children to school. Moreover, the school bus will be there all days irrespective, but it cant be said of private taxi or when its driver goes sick or throws a wobbly.
Further, i drove from home to school which is approx 14 road miles( not as crow flies) including motorway stretch and it took max 40 minutes with heavy traffic but can be done in about 30 minutes at school timings.
I read in the letter sent by Herschel , that they are looking forward to start school bus service from Reading, which will prove a boon for DC commuting from Reading.
I hope Dadcool , Berksmum and likewise other parents would benefit from this service.
Good luck to all parents who are sitting on the fence still thinking whether to post or not on this topic or in the forum.
berksmum

Post by berksmum »

Hi Osho,
I couldn't agree more with you regarding school buses vs private taxi .
I had spoken to the business manager at Herschel regarding the Reading bus service and the answer that I received was that they need sufficient interest in the service to make it viable.
I fervently hope that many more parents like me and Dadcool will show their interest in the new bus service.
Osho

Post by Osho »

hi BerksMum,
The school will be only able to judge the response for starting bus from reading , when they get back all the confirmation letter for offer made from the parents, which will be 15th march. You should ring after 15th march to check about the response from parents about starting bus from reading, which i think will eventually happen soon.
Good Luck.
Dadcool

Post by Dadcool »

Hi Osho,
I just hope that we have enough numbers from Reading / Early area to start the bus service.
Completely agree with you that school bus would be most hassle free option.
Keeping fingers crossed :)
sekhon

Post by sekhon »

Hi Osho
Thanks for starting up this thread.

We are from Uxbridge and have accepted an offer from Herschel for our DS to start in Sept 16. Would like to go for a Car share or alike if we get enough.
Osho

Post by Osho »

Hi Sekhon,
With due regards to your query, we have already applied for a place on Herschel school bus from Southall. You can ask the school if there are more parents interested in car share from your area. They will have the information to help you out. On the other hand, you could ask this question when you are invited for meeting with the Head teacher as these meetings are now ongoing and you would soon receive an email to that effect.
Thanks.
sekhon

Post by sekhon »

Thanks Osho for your reply.

Have already been to the head meeting other day and its now on 11th and 12th of July 2016 when they are getting a school tour / meet up organised. Head did confirmed that they have this type of provision where anyone interested can join the pool of emails / contact details and take it from there for car share etc. Hope we have enough as travelling to Hayes end for catch school bus from Uxbridge Town centre are is bit of a distance itself. Hope ..!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now