Herschel Grammar- Who is coming from where

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sandra

Re: Herschel Grammar- Who is coming from where

Post by sandra »

We live in Reading and I understand that few kids based in Reading/Earley got through in Herschel Grammar for 2016 entry.
Do they need to score more marks as they are based far away from the school? or
Is it that they have to be over the normal cut-off and then it is based on the distance from school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The admissions policy can be found at the bottom of this page:
http://www.herschel.slough.sch.uk/Schoo ... /Year-7-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
aimoisi

Post by aimoisi »

hello,

My DS attends St Bernard and we live in Reading and commute to Slough, we currently have spaces in car share as the 2 other DS we used to share travel arrangements with are in year12 and finishes this year.

Does any one want to join in or we are happy to form a new group
aimoisi

Post by aimoisi »

Hi,

Travel from Reading to slough grammar schools – St Bernard and other 3 grammar schools.

We are currently looking for more DS to join our existing taxi arrangement,my DS is in St Bernard. At the moment, the existing travel plans is house to house pick up and drop off to tywford train station.

2 of the kids finish this year and we have spaces. Please do let me know if you are interested
Snshah

Post by Snshah »

Hi
Currently 5 kids are going from Lower Earley to Hershel grammar school and we all are interested in bus services provide by school and we have given confirmation to school so hopefully we will get it from September 2016
sandra

Post by sandra »

sandra wrote:We live in Reading and I understand that few kids based in Reading/Earley got through in Herschel Grammar for 2016 entry.
Do they need to score more marks as they are based far away from the school? or
Is it that they have to be over the normal cut-off and then it is based on the distance from school?
Would anyone from Reading whose DCs got into Herschel mind sharing the scores of their DCs please? Just want to check if it is solely distance based or score based? Thanks
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From the 2017 admissions policy:

Where the number of pupils who have achieved the required standard in the tests by gaining an overall score of 111 or more exceeds the number of places available, places will be allocated according to the following oversubscription criteria in this order of priority:
(i) Looked After Children who have reached the required standard. If this happens during the normal admission round, the number of places available to other applicants will be reduced accordingly;
(ii) the next 70 pupils in rank order of performance in the tests;
(iii) children of permanent members of the school staff who have been continuously employed by the school for a period of not less than 2 years prior to the closing date for applications. If this happens during the normal admission round, the number of places available to other applicants will be reduced accordingly;
(iv) proximity to the school. Distance will be measured in a straight line from the front door of the child’s home address (including flats) to the main entrance gate of the school, using Slough’s Geographical Information System (GIS), with those closer to the school receiving the higher priority.
6. In the event of one or more eligible pupils being tied for a final place or places within criteria (i),
(ii), (iii) or (iv), priority will be decided according to proximity to the school. Distance will be measured in a straight line from the front door of the child’s home address (including flats) to the main entrance gate of the school, using Slough’s Geographical Information System (GIS), with those closer to the school receiving the higher priority.

Leaving out 'statemented' children, Looked After Children and children of staff members (sure because these usually only represent a very small number), the first 70 places are awarded on score, regardless of place of residence, then on proximity to school, presumably regardless of score (other than is must be at least 111 for the child to be eligible), up to the Published Admission Number.

So if you are a long way from the school, you have to hope that your child's score puts them in the top 70 applicants to the school (as opposed to those sitting the exam), it would appear.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sandra

Post by sandra »

Many thanks for your reply.

Now, it would be good to know if those who got through in Herschel from Reading for Sept 16 entry was based on achieving high score or based on distance from school?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Sandra, I've just had a quick whizz through the Herschel admissions policy for 2017 and I think that you need to call the school and speak to the admissions officer. They should be able to clarify for you whether Reading children were admitted on score or distance.

Everybody will have "heard of somebody who's friends with somebody" etc but the only people who can give you a definitive answer is the school. I'm sure they've been asked the question a thousand times before so will be used to such an enquiry.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
sandra

Post by sandra »

Doodles, many thanks - really appreciate!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now