How can I assess child's potential?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ChessMum

How can I assess child's potential?

Post by ChessMum »

Evening!

I'm very new to the whole 11+ thing, so could do with a bit of advice please!

My son is bright, but I have no way of knowing how smart he is! We'd like him to go to Reading Grammar, but would like to understand how likely he'd be to get the marks needed to be offered a place.

Does anyone know of a tutor or assessment service we can use that will advise us through their experience / knowledge, on how likely he may be to get a place?

It is important for us to understand this as we are considering moving into the catchment area so that he has a chance of getting in.

Thanks in advance!
Tinkers

Re: How can I assess child's potential?

Post by Tinkers »

I can't help with the tutor/assessment as such as I diyed for my DD to get into Kendrick.

However what I will write (just in case you don't know) is that you will need to be in catchment at the time of applying for the test. This is around May/June before the test in September.

If you are not in catchment then, you will be classed as ooc and will be very unlikely to get a place. No one from ooc has got a place since a catchment was introduced.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Chess mum you don't say which year your son is in / how old he is. If he is still very young I would concentrate on building the basics. Good luck.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ChessMum

Post by ChessMum »

Thanks for the replies!

He is 9 years old, just going into year 5, so we need to figure out pretty swiftly whether we think he's got the potential to pass with a high enough mark to get in, in order to be moved and into catchment in time!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Where do you live now? What if you moved & he didn't pass? Do you have other options?
scary mum
ChessMum

Post by ChessMum »

We currently live in Fleet and so would have to move to Hartley Wintney to be in catchment. It's a big upheaval and DD starts at secondary in Fleet this Sept, so would also be more difficult for her to get to school. Worth the downsides if we could get him in I think, but there are no guarantees! That's why I'd like to assess him to see if he realistically has a good shot at it!

In terms of other options, I guess we can look at independent schools such as Salesian College, but the fees are too much, so we'd need to achieve a significant bursary for it to be viable. I'm not sure at what the criteria are to be granted a bursary.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you are happy with the school in Fleet, personally I would stay put & avoid difficult journeys to multiple schools, but that's not what you are asking! Good luck.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

How does your DD feel about the possibility of all this upheaval for the intended benefit of her sibling - with no guarantee of success? Is there a reason why her school (or its male equivalent, if it's single-gender) would not be suitable for him?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd suggest you look at transport arrangements from Hartley Wintney to Reading school as well.
I think the train from Basingstoke takes about 25min and then he will have about 20-25 min walk from the train station to school, plus however long it will take to get to Basingstoke station.

You would also need to look at your DDs journey to school as well. It's not just distance or time but the ease of the journey and how prone to disruption it is too.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Knowing the area pretty well...(my family have lived in Fleet longer than I have been alive)...Hartley Wintney to Reading each morning and evening is not a journey I would want to do...whilst the distance time looks the maximum advisable (coming in at about an hour each way) the reality in the rush hour is very different - especially if you are going in two different directions - public transport is not terribly reliable and it makes for a very long school day. The schools in the area are pretty decent too - if you are really anti them (but obviously aren't, as they are good enough for your DD) and think he will do well enough then certainly consider the independents - Salesian does offer scholarships and bursaries - speak to the Bursar at the school to get an idea of what is on offer. There are also other independents within an easier travel reach.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now