Langley Grammer-Local and General admission Areas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
goodraw

Langley Grammer-Local and General admission Areas

Post by goodraw »

Hi, is there a limit on how many qualifying under the local area rule are admitted? or can it be that anyone getting 111 score ( I believe thats the cut off figure for last year) and living in local catchment will get a place first?
Humble Parent

Re: Langley Grammer-Local and General admission Areas

Post by Humble Parent »

There happens to be no limit for kids from local area getting admission with 111score and above. if there are still seats remaining after this allotment to local area kids, then the general area kids become eligible for remaining seats. That is why for 2016 entry the general area cutoff for Langley was 125 and 124 on distance but 111 for local area kids.
goodraw

Post by goodraw »

Is there any info on how many of 2016 intake belonged to local area, and how many from general; trying to get a handle on my dd's chances ( we're in general, as you've probably guessed)..
Humble Parent

Post by Humble Parent »

Hi Goodraw,
You can get the information that you want, directly from school by writing to them quoting for information under FOI ( freedom of information).
goodraw

Post by goodraw »

Thanks HP, I didn't know that; I suppose while I'm at it I could ask a lot more! Writing is probably best way as admissions office never respond to phone calls.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Upton Court Grammar have a limit on their "local
Priority" Numbers (it's 30 or 40 out of their PAN of 150)

I went to the Langley Grammar open day last year and asked about this: they said they estimated that only 20 or 30 local children would pass so they didn't feel the need to formally limit the local pass numbers. Obviously the more in-cachement kids that pass, the higher the general cachement kids need to score to get in.

Personally i feel it would be better to have some kind of distance-from-school criteria, as their modified local cachement is only Sl3 7 and SL3 8 , this means that children from quite close by such as Iver, Datchet and West Drayton are in the "general" area, whereas a child from Twickenham/Richmond with a marginally higher score would get a place over them despite being almost 20 miles away with a hideous commute.

Oh and if you do find out how many local children got in last year, do post it here!
goodraw

Post by goodraw »

Wasn't last year the first time this rule came in? I'm wondering if they if they just picked a number out of the air. They have been forced into this by slough council as a condition for receiving funding; but thats another subject...
wildman

Post by wildman »

I asked for the breakdown of Local Admissions to General Admissions and did not get a concrete answer. Does anybody know for 2016 was the split is??
vijayboothnath

Post by vijayboothnath »

The headteacher mentioned yesterday that it was 60% - 40% split.
local area were 60% and general was 40%
everyone in local area who got 111 and above secured a place in LGS.
General area the cut off first round was 125, later dropped to 122.
This year the intake has been increased by 30 - so he mentioned that he expects the intake to be 50% - 50%
wildman

Post by wildman »

Wow! I did not realise the local admissions figures were so high. At 60%, that would mean that 90 pupils would come from the Local and only 60 from the general admissions area. Did they give any indication of the affect that had on the minimum mark?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now