How did girls/boys do today's exam @Kendrick/Reading...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Aethel

Re: How did girls/boys do today's exam @Kendrick/Reading...

Post by Aethel »

Thanks Semb :)

It's a relief to have one out of the way, and after this week I'll be relieved if nothing else.
Is now the time to mention my second child has just started year 5?
.....here we go again.....!
helencw77

Post by helencw77 »

My daughter sat at Kendrick yesterday. She appears to have no off switch though, and has spent 2 hours this afternoon doing practice maths papers for her SATS in May......... She thinks it's fun :shock:

We only moved into the catchment area in June just before the registration date, so we came to 11+ a bit late (previous house purchase fell through so it was actually not our intention to live in catchment, we are right on the edge). She's done some work over the summer so we shall see, but evidently her idea of a relaxing Sunday afternoon is finishing off her left over practice tests !! I wonder how long it will last........
katrina70

Post by katrina70 »

So many kids lining up at Kendrick!! My dd didn't quite finish the maths section - does that mean there's no chance now of a decent score?
akguptay2k

Post by akguptay2k »

I think there are lot more before coming to conclusion whether paper was either easy or hard. It is all based on 10 yrs old kids judgement, some kids have very strong feeling/expectation of completing all questions and missing/guessing few questions can upset them, which then lead to hard paper. On the other side, some kids completing 90% of the paper find paper easy because of moderate expectation. It all comes from their whole year preparation including mock test and then comparing real exam with the preparation.

My daughter found it at the same level of Bond/CGP, but she could not finish few questions in Maths and NVR because of time. At the end, it does not matter how many questions were answered/guessed/missed. What matters are how many answers are correct and how less are careless mistakes (kids are prone to make careless mistakes because of time constraint and exam nervous).
Ealing11Mum

Post by Ealing11Mum »

Hello,
Does anyone if the letter we will be getting in October will include the kids' score or just whether they are of selective ability?
Thanks.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

For Berks it will include the score as that will determine the chances of getting a place. For Bucks it doesn't matter what score you get as long as it is above the 'pass mark'
Ealing11Mum

Post by Ealing11Mum »

Thanks Reading Mum,
It was the Berks schools, I was wondering about - great to know we'll get the actual score in October as this will determine the order of preference.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

you will get the actual score but it will only give you an idea of whether you have a chance of getting in. You won't know for sure until next March after a very long wait.
If the score is below the required mark to 'pass' then at least you know not to put that school on the CAF - unless you feel you have grounds for an appeal in which case you must put it on the CAF as you cannot appeal for a school you didn't apply for.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Ealing11Mum wrote:Thanks Reading Mum,
It was the Berks schools, I was wondering about - great to know we'll get the actual score in October as this will determine the order of preference.
you should always put the schools on the form in your true order of preference - no need to try and play any games with placement order as it won't work.
Ealing11Mum

Post by Ealing11Mum »

Thanks for confirming. I thought I'd check as when my eldest applied 5 years ago to Nonsuch all we got before the application deadline was a letter confirming she was of selective ability - no actual score. She subsequently got into TGS - our first choice - but Nonsuch never communicated her actual score. LGS confirmed the score in January, but exams back then were all after the October CAF deadline for all schools except Nonsuch so you were really applying blindly to all of these schools :-(. A lot has changed in five years, so best to check what to expect this time.