How did girls/boys do today's exam @Kendrick/Reading...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

akguptay2k

How did girls/boys do today's exam @Kendrick/Reading...

Post by akguptay2k »

Starting new topic to discuss kids feedback about today's paper at Kendrick and Reading boys

She could not finish few questions in Maths and NVR, but managed to attempt all English questions.
Last edited by akguptay2k on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: How did girls/boys do today's exam @Kendrick/Reading...

Post by Tinkers »

Another reminder to everyone. Please do not discuss the exam content, number of questions, or timing so etc. This could give late sitters an advantage over your DC! Bear in mind that this test is used in several other regions across the country as well.
Berkmum2016

Post by Berkmum2016 »

Hi, are u talking about the slough exam? I would be very keen for feedback... Obviously careful not to disclose too much.

My son struggled with the vr. Overal found the paper challenging but not too difficult but not easy either. However u never know until the results come out.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Reading, Kendrick and Slough all use the same exam.
akguptay2k

Post by akguptay2k »

Reading, Slough and Gloucestershire Grammar Schools share the same papers.
Slimsonik

Post by Slimsonik »

My son was at the test yesterday and said maths and nvr was very easy but time was a bit tight. The vr was a bit more challenging and had to just guess few answers :-)
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Honestly, it won't really provide mych to give you feedback.... As it's a cohort exam, if it was an "easy" paper, then every child will score more highly, and so the raw score needed to be "elegible" will rise. There will still be a 30% pass rate.

The only thing it does tell us is that if most kids found it "easy" but yours found it "harder" is that your child is either hard on themselves and actually scored just fine, or they found it was their weaker area.... But none of us have any way to know which! We just have to wait (argh :wink: )
goodraw

Post by goodraw »

My DD attended at langley and said she found it "easy", in fact, easier than the mock she did; there were 2 classmates as well who report that it was easy. If that is the case, then would it make getting 111 ( minimum req. to be considered), easier or harder? Maybe the more brainer members here can enlighten!
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

It's a cohort exam. So whatever actual scores the children get are compared with each other not with a predefined pass mark. There will always be a "pass score" (111 for Slough) for 30% of the children.

So if they all found it easy: let's say 100 kids took the test, and the average score was 80 marks out of a hundred. The computer will look at the kids raw scores (they look at each month of birth separately, let's assume our 100 kids were all born in April).
The computer puts all the kid's marks in order from lowest to highest.
They then discover that 30 of the kids scored 85 or more out of 100.
The computer then says that the kid who got exactly 85 has a "score" of 111 ie passes the test. The other 29 children who did better get scores above 111 in a normal distribution (so a child who got 92 % might convert to a score of 125 etc).
Any children below that magic-number will get a converted score of less than 111 ie not elegible.

Now imaging the paper was waaaay harder. Still 100 kids taking it,
The average score in the hard test is only 35 percent (ouch!!)
But that's ok.
The computer once again marks and then lines up all the kids scores in order.
The computer finds that of the 100 kids, 30 of them scored 46 or more out of the 100 marks.
So this time it placed the child who got exactly 46 percent as having a "converted score" of 111. All the 29 kids who did better than that will get a higher ranking score.
The 70 kids who did worse than that will conert to scores below 111.

Because it's a cohort exam there will ALWAYS be a fixed percentage who "pass" and a fixed percentage who do not. This is why they convert to a standardised score.
Of course in the real test, there will be thousands of kids sitting it, not just 100, but I've scaled it down to make the maths simpler...

I hope I've explained that correctly!.... (Mods?!)
semb

Post by semb »

I'm certainly no expert but Aethel's explanation sounds right to me.

My only thought was that if the exam was found easier by most then there's less room for getting away with careless errors. But I may be completely wrong.

Truly, I think we can have no idea how things went from how our children found the exam - I think it really is just a case of waiting until late October when the results are out...

Aethel - all the very best to your Dd for Bucks next week; I'm so glad it's all over for us.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now