11+ CEM Reading 2017 Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry

Re: 11+ CEM Reading 2017 Exams

Post by BlueBerry »

Bee, yes I'm trying to find a tuition centre for my DS.

Aethel, interesting about your friend's DD. My DS tries to get it perfectly too and I keep telling him that he must speed up. I think at this moment in time I am really worried about him putting his answers in the wrong box, especially as I'm trying to get him in the habit of skipping the harder questions, as he takes absolute ages, and getting him to move on so he can answer the rest of the section/questions.
Bee

Post by Bee »

[quote="BlueBerry"]Bee, yes I'm trying to find a tuition centre for my DS.

I have PM you
Eli

Post by Eli »

Hello, I'm reading all the post and starting to feel worry, here we're looking for tutors but our VD is going to Kumon, do you think she'll be prepared?

Thanks
:?
Pinner

Post by Pinner »

Hi,

My son did the following. Of course some of them are not CEM board but helped him to do any type of VR/Non VR questions in the tests. It helped him to do well in the private school exams as well.

Athey Educational
NFER Nelson
Susan McKonkey - Learning together
All type of CEM Books - Including 10 minutes tests maths/ve/nonvr/ English
Alpha Series
Pass the plus or whatever
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Eli wrote:Hello, I'm reading all the post and starting to feel worry, here we're looking for tutors but our VD is going to Kumon, do you think she'll be prepared?

Thanks
:?
I wouldn't rely on Kumon alone, she will need to be prepared for all aspects of the CEM test. That doesn't need to be done by external tutor - there is plenty of info on here for you to go through at home.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Whilst I am sure there are successes, all the people I know who went to Kumon did not succeed in CEM 11+.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Whilst I am sure there are successes, all the people I know who went to Kumon did not succeed in CEM 11+.
Why is that?
Bee

Post by Bee »

BlueBerry wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Whilst I am sure there are successes, all the people I know who went to Kumon did not succeed in CEM 11+.
Why is that?
I am not sure but my understanding is that Kumon make the kids repeat the same things over & over again till they get it right, rather than making them use their brains. Great for times table though.
Eli

Post by Eli »

Bee wrote:
BlueBerry wrote:
Why is that?
I am not sure but my understanding is that Kumon make the kids repeat the same things over & over again till they get it right, rather than making them use their brains. Great for times table though.

Thats sound funny, but what they do is help them to learn from their mistakes, they do use their brains and they make them go quick each time, DV is been there for 4 years and she's improving a lot, but that doesn't mean that other guide aren't need them. Thank Pinner and Reading Mum for the tips!!
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

My nephew has been doing Kumon for the past few years. He's awesome at multiplication, division & fractions. He actually enjoys the repetitive nature of his homework. My DS on the other hand thinks very differently to him & think's its all rather boring. It's swings and roundabouts isn't it?