Reading School - Non-Routine Admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

advain

Reading School - Non-Routine Admission

Post by advain »

Hello All,

Need some advise.

My Son Passed Birmingham exam with 250 marks & applied King Edward Camphill as first choice. We live in Birmingham. Now the problem is my wife might get job in Reading and its not possible for daily commute. Now that all application process complete in all areas, I enquired school and they said that the non-routine application can be made. If any vacancies arises than based on new CEM test and depend on wait list, they will allow admission.

My question is,
Is there any vacancies arises in the past ?
What is the chance of getting into the Reading school via non-routine admission ?

Many thanks
Tinkers

Re: Reading School - Non-Routine Admission

Post by Tinkers »

I'm not familiar with Reading schools in year admissions guidelines so just tried to look for them and couldn't find them.
However I know what happens with Kendrick.
http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/admi ... ons-other/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your situation is a little different in that your DS is still in year 6. He may be able to sit a late test for Reading, although if he has already sat a CEM test on the 10th September, it may well have been the same one so he wouldn't be allowed to. So it might be complicated.
warning, I'm guessing here.
You could put in a late application, but your application wouldn't be dealt with in the first allocations on the 1st March. In addition you wouldn't have been in catchment at the normal time of applying for the test, so would still be classes as ooc. However he would then go on the waiting list I believe.

Once year 7 has started, of Reading do the same as Kendrick, the waiting list stays in place until December.
After that, only when a place becomes available would the in year admissions kick in. So you would have to wait for a boy to leave, then, along with numerous other boys, take a test.
I have no idea for Reading, but when a girl left kendrick in DDs year, there were 18 girls invited in to take the test. Only 3 girls have Left in her year group and she is now in year 10.

Tricky situation for you to be in and I guess the news couldn't have came at a worse time.
advain

Post by advain »

Many thanks Tinkers.
Foreseer

Post by Foreseer »

Given the fact that only 138 day places are available at Reading School but 282 candidates achieved the qualifying score of 108 and 198 out of them are within the designated area. Your son's chances of getting it is very slim. I have a suggestion for your son while he is on the waiting list. You can consider Bohunt Wokingham http://www.bohuntwokingham.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It is a new academy near Arborfield. They have only year7 classes at the moment, so next year it would be both yr7 and yr8. What I like about this school is the fab campus (a good distance from busy town), excellent new facilities (all new!!!), smaller class size (18 students) due to undersubscription but may change in future and less crowded (I never fancy big school). I have put it down as second choice should my son fails to enter Reading Grammar. Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now