Open evenings Kendrick and Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Open evenings Kendrick and Reading

Post by Tinkers »

Just a reminder that the open evenings for Kendrick and Reading schools are tomorrow (27th April).

I don't know the deal for Reading, but there is no parking at kendrick. The local roads have parking meters and the RBC traffic wardens do work late into the evenings. I've seen them around at 8:00pm. Car parking also at Queens road and the oracle.

Alternatively it might be worth seeing how easy (or not) it is to get there by public transport so you know what the journey will entail for your DC.
BlueBerry

Re: Open evenings Kendrick and Reading

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks Tinkers. We are going to Reading School today and there isn't any parking provided on site.

I think we will have to park in the town centre and walk.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Queens Road car park is closest. The Oracle Riverside is not much further. Watch out for Oracle Holybrook as that shuts at 7:30pm and you don't want your car locked in if you go later
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Went there to show Reading School to my eldest, and it was really nice.
Parked on the street (arrived around 2:50). I would advise for any parent to go early, as it gets really crowded an the whole visit is much longer than expected, took us just under 3 hours to see all.

Really nice school, pupils and feeling to the school. DS loved the science and biology labs. I really hope it will motivate him to want to go there.
Only down point I can think of is you can feel this old venerable institution suffering as much as all schools due to budget cuts (paint falling off, not enough computers/antiquated ones, etc..). Still not sure what is the point of cutting budgets across the public system (if I were cynical, I'd hazard a guess :evil: ) .
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

We got there around 5pm and left 2.5hrs later. Definitely got lucky with the timing of the headmaster talk and admission talks.

DS really liked it but was disappointed that their swimming pool is no longer operational. And their chemistry teacher was a hoot!

Overall, it's a lovely school and we both left with fuzzy warm feelings about it. Now it's just the small matter of passing the exams and beating the 1000+ applicants :|
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

There may be another post about this somewhere but I couldn't immediately see it.

Kendrick open evening is Thursday 26th April 2018. There is only 1 open evening per year these days.
littlpj

Post by littlpj »

My DS is currently in year 4 and we are planning on taking him to the open evening later. This will really help motivate him with his 11 plus prep come Sept when he starts Year 5.
The school website states that the visit is for year 5 children only. Anyone know how strict they are with this?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

littlpj wrote:My DS is currently in year 4 and we are planning on taking him to the open evening later. This will really help motivate him with his 11 plus prep come Sept when he starts Year 5.
The school website states that the visit is for year 5 children only. Anyone know how strict they are with this?
I don’t know about Reading, but kendrick don’t ask.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

just be aware that these events can be a real crush so it might not be ideal for a younger one if they don't like crowds - you don't want to put them off. If you can make it for the start it will be a more pleasant experience
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

We went to Kendrick open day I was shocked at the crowds and general poor management of the evening, It took us an hour longer than expected to get into the school with rush hour and parking. One evening! We dashed into one class at about 7.20 to be met with totally unenthusiastic teacher waving us away!
I was told I couldn't access the Heads speech as I was late and she had started...then after a small grumble from me, they surprise surprise got me in at the back with not a murmer or issue/disruption :?

Why was I late? Because I tried to get to the admission talks - way across site and a long way away....the talk was a copy of whats on their website...so I thought I had better use of time to get a feeling for the Head mistress...so dashed back..
Compared to some other schools open days I found the whole experience ODD.

We don' t want to do an open day - we know we are a brilliant school, this is a tick box excerise we have to do - under MUCH DURESS...lets get you in - on OUR TERMS and get you out, pronto. :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now