11 + preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Sorry - forgot to say, the English, & VR WERE NFER papers.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Sophie,

Many thanks for your post, this is the most detailed information I have seen and great reassurance for all of us struggling against the unknown exam !

Any further information you, your son or others can add would be greatly appreciated.

I know of one boy who two years ago took the NVR with two toilet breaks and six questions left out who was successful, however his English is very strong.

stevew61

Post by Guest »

Sophie,

Thanks for a deeper insight into what the boys will have do. Agree with Stevew61, its the most detailed info we've had.

Is your boy enjoying it at Reading? Is there lots of homework, after school clubs etc?
We know that academically it is an excellent school, but I'm quite interested in finding out about what else it has to offer? :roll:
Any thoughts Welcome.

RR
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Yes, he's enjoying it but it's a HUGE shock. Last term, left house at 8:35 and returned at 3:30. Now leaves at 7:10am and gets back between 4:20 & 4:50 with enough books to start a library. He also forgets & looses things! Lots of sport (& kit). No regrets yet but he's only been there 2 weeks!

Teachers assume no-one has done more than state primary, so languages etc all start from scratch.

His view of exams was:
Maths - easy. Obvious style difference from other papers - school produces it we think.
English Comprehensions. All ok. Grammatical questions all easier than practice questions. No deciding between : & ; etc. Just common mis-spellings, no capital letters, speech marks etc. (His opinion I add - not his strongest point).
Essay - YUK. Had to write with a pencil not pen. Not a great title. Choose something to describe & throw in lots of interesting spellings etc.
NVR - Practice papers helped but he didn't quite finish (was on last page though).

Best advice he followd was: Its multi choice so leave NO blanks (he did quickly guess all the last Q's). In codebreaker Q's, do first & last letters, don't have to do whole word to see which multichoice answer is right. Don't panic & REALLY believe that whatever the outcome you will get a place at the school best suited to you.

Post by Guest »

What lovely advise
REALLY believe that whatever the outcome you will get a place at the school best suited to you
Thankyou for your insight, it really is invaluable!!!

RR
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now