Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Reading School Boarding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am
Posts: 8
Hi,
My DS has scored 114.47 in Reading school, but we live in Langley and are not in the catchment. Is there any chance of getting admission for Reading school.
I have also received an email from Reading school that they are happy to offer a boarding seat for my DS. Although I can afford the boarding expenses, is it worth to go for boarding?
He has scored 124 in Slough Consortium and will get any school in the area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:29 am
Posts: 8
We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Reading seems to be most popular but it will come down to personal choice.
I believe you won't be able to change from Boarding to Day for 3 years.
So it's a 3 year commitment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am
Posts: 8
Thanks vvicky13
I am not getting good reviews for Langley Grammar from the parents of the kids going to LGS
Hence getting inclined towards Reading


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1014
vvicky13 wrote:
We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Reading seems to be most popular but it will come down to personal choice.
I believe you won't be able to change from Boarding to Day for 3 years.
So it's a 3 year commitment.


Actually that's incorrect. On the two open evening that I attended, the headmaster drummed it into us that once you a boarder you cannot change to a be a day pupil at all. There certainly isn't a time limit on this. He did say that someone tried very hard to do that and ended up having to leave the school in the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
Posts: 6886
Location: Reading
BlueBerry wrote:
vvicky13 wrote:
We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Reading seems to be most popular but it will come down to personal choice.
I believe you won't be able to change from Boarding to Day for 3 years.
So it's a 3 year commitment.


Actually that's incorrect. On the two open evening that I attended, the headmaster drummed it into us that once you a boarder you cannot change to a be a day pupil at all. There certainly isn't a time limit on this. He did say that someone tried very hard to do that and ended up having to leave the school in the end.


Yes that’s also my understanding after talking to a parent of a boy there. Others have tried to change, but have not been allowed to. I guess they wouldn't mind so much if you continued to pay for the boarding place, but that is just my guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 58
vvicky13 wrote:
We like Reading School. A lot of our friends kid go there and it is very good school.
Reading seems to be most popular but it will come down to personal choice.
I believe you won't be able to change from Boarding to Day for 3 years.
So it's a 3 year commitment.

My son is a boarder and it is not 3 years till GCSE you are committed after GCSE you can be a day boy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 58
arvinderps wrote:
Hi,
My DS has scored 114.47 in Reading school, but we live in Langley and are not in the catchment. Is there any chance of getting admission for Reading school.
I have also received an email from Reading school that they are happy to offer a boarding seat for my DS. Although I can afford the boarding expenses, is it worth to go for boarding?
He has scored 124 in Slough Consortium and will get any school in the area.

To be boarding the child should be happy that he will be boarding it is not a decision parents decide.
My son from beginning wanted to be boarder.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
Posts: 6886
Location: Reading
Thanks for confirming.

I’d totally agree about the DS wanting to board as well. They are going to spend an signiificant amount away from home at what is still quite a young age.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am
Posts: 8
Thanks kol and Tinkers
Yes. even I heard that it is committed till GCSE
I am taking my DS for the Boarding tour tomorrow. Till now he is keen to go as boarder

Kol - how is your experience with your DS in the boarding. Do they have sports after school as my DS is very keen on sports


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 pm
Posts: 4
Hi, let me know your feeling after you have done the boarding tour. My DS got 124.4 and we have applied for boarding too. Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021