Wycombe High School over Burnham Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

emuralimba

Wycombe High School over Burnham Grammar School

Post by emuralimba »

Hi members,

Very Good morning and this is my first post here. Please forgive if any mistakes.
My DD cleared Bucks for 2018 entry (not qualified Berkshire) and live in Langley and can move out to nearest location based on school allocation.
We are in confusion to select above schools to keep in second priority (not sure she can get in BHS assuming of competition). We visited Burnham and somehow didnt liked the atmosphere there and not happy.
Please let me know your views about Wycombe High school. Below are my main concerns:
1. Safety of child/Bulliying issues
2. Education levels - Reports say 2015 on top but not in 2016
3. Teacher availability per class

Thanks,
murali
Aethel

Re: Wycombe High School over Burnham Grammar School

Post by Aethel »

1) what did you think of WHS when you visited? I hope you have visited yourself before considering it as a first choice school for your child. It’s fair enough not to visit dozens of schools. If you’re willing to base choices purely on other folks views, bear in mind I have a child at Burnham GS who is having an extremely positive experience so far and loves the school.

2) Do you really need to move? It’s putting a lot of pressure on your child to perform well knowing the whole family has uprooted “just for them”... I hope you didn’t move to Langley just to get into priority cachement as that would be two house moves.. if you considered Burnham and are anywhere near the station, there are trains from Langley which will all Be direct in 2 years time (Crossrail). Apple coaches also run a bus from Langley Road to BGS.

3) are you sure you’re not put off by the BGS school’s Ofsted: it’s “good” rather than “outstanding” but that’s simply because the requirements for Outstanding are far more stringent since they were altered a few years ago.

You will likely be too far away from WHS to have any hope of a place from Langley: as you know it’s all based on distance from school NOW. Look this up in the Bucks figures at the top of the section.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Ps, Becky High cachement widened considerably last year and so there were DDs from North Langley who got in (to my surprise!)
Before last year there were 8 years in a row where there were no places allocated as far out as Langley. So you could put BHS down and it’s possible you may get a place, but as you say, it’s by no means certain. The schools are all different in feel, as you say: did your Daughter like BHS when you/she visted? Bear in mind it’s all girls and there are no bus routes unless you drive her yourself or manage to get a spare space (no guarantee) on a bucks bus which would be slow and arduous. It’s quite a drive from Langley to Becky high esp at school time: try it over half term before you committ!
Langley to Burnham is 16-20 mins, much more do-able.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would choose BGS over WHS every time.
WHS is near two other secondary schools on a very busy corner. It's buildings look a bit tired and the last time I went there I found the stpes up to reception slippery and unwelcoming. WHS seems to have had quite a turnover of staff in recent years and a growing allocation distance shows a school declining in popularity.
emuralimba

Post by emuralimba »

Aethel wrote:1) what did you think of WHS when you visited? I hope you have visited yourself before considering it as a first choice school for your child. It’s fair enough not to visit dozens of schools. If you’re willing to base choices purely on other folks views, bear in mind I have a child at Burnham GS who is having an extremely positive experience so far and loves the school.
--> we were expecting berkshire and didnt got chance to go WHS Open days. But visited BGS few days back and felt its OK and have neutral opinion. So, thought of asking others. We have more chance of getting seat in BGS than WHS.

2) Do you really need to move? It’s putting a lot of pressure on your child to perform well knowing the whole family has uprooted “just for them”... I hope you didn’t move to Langley just to get into priority cachement as that would be two house moves.. if you considered Burnham and are anywhere near the station, there are trains from Langley which will all Be direct in 2 years time (Crossrail). Apple coaches also run a bus from Langley Road to BGS.
--> Currently we are renting house and have plans to buy house and settle. So, thought to wait till march and better to take near secondary school.

3) are you sure you’re not put off by the BGS school’s Ofsted: it’s “good” rather than “outstanding” but that’s simply because the requirements for Outstanding are far more stringent since they were altered a few years ago.

--> Thanks for this. now i got bit confidence on selecting BGS. Really appreciate you Aethel. Thank you so much.

You will likely be too far away from WHS to have any hope of a place from Langley: as you know it’s all based on distance from school NOW. Look this up in the Bucks figures at the top of the section.
--> Now i got some clarity about choices. But will try to reach out to schools if i can go and visit them.
We have BHS as top priority and compared to last year my postcode distance is achievable for school place. As there is high demand for BHS, just want to know more info on 2nd and 3rd priority schools as well.
@Guest55 : Thanks for your info. really helpful...
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Good luck with it and I hope your DD is happy with wherever she goes.
Moving to be nearer the school if you are renting and genuinely sounds sensible, but of course getting the place depends on this year’s address as you know.

Just to warn you though, Burnham is expensive to buy, and Beaconsfield even worse, so I hope you have deep pockets or are happy to Marie Kondo your house in order to downsize!!

Try not to worry about “educaion levels”, all the Bucks grammars are very good and it’s what your child gets that matters, not the difference between 98 and 99% of grades being a*-c .....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now