Age standardisation in Kendrick/Reading

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BerkshireDad

Re: Age standardisation in Kendrick/Reading

Post by BerkshireDad »

scarymum,

Thankfully my daughter acheived 119 in kendrick. Hopefully she is in by looking at historic data. But my problem is how much good she write exam, she could have not achieved highest marks as she is oldest in class. so I am wondering is there any chance for oldest child to get highest marks? If not then it is kind of unfair.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I know the girl who ranked well in the top 5 in year 11, I know her score and i know roughly when her birthday is (she is defintely one of the older ones).

I also know what my own DD got in terms of raw score and SS in NVR (in the days of GL).

There were 6 girls with the same raw score. All born different months, spread throuhout the year. Only one mark difference between them.

Age standardisation only makes a big difference if, in fact, there was a big difference in how the older ones and the younge ones scored.

It would not have stopped your DD getting a high SS (or even the highest) if she got a really high raw score. She would have been at the top end of the bell curve.

As it is with the highest acore being 127 ish (from memory) your DD has actually scored quite highly.

For every parent of a Sept/Oct born child saying its unfair, theres another of a July/August born saying their child is up against it because they are so young in the year.
BerkshireDad

Post by BerkshireDad »

"It would not have stopped your DD getting a high SS (or even the highest) if she got a really high raw score."

to get highest SS for oldest kid - she has to get really high raw score more higher than younger kid. That I understand but if the questions are easy for both of them, then older kid can not really achieve that is it not? Also one mark also makes difference when allocating seats.
mad?

Post by mad? »

BerkshireDad wrote: to get highest SS for oldest kid - she has to get really high raw score more higher than younger kid. That I understand but if the questions are easy for both of them, then older kid can not really achieve that is it not? Also one mark also makes difference when allocating seats.
NO :)

Think about what has been explained up thread. If, for example, the group of September born children scored lower than the August born children, then standardisation would increase their score relative to the August born children (sorry that is a very simplistic explanation but I thought it might help). The fact that this does not tend to happen, that lower percentages of applicants tend to be younger born (sorry can't find the data but GL did a study on this many moons ago) vindicates the need for standardisation (which still does not totally offset the impact of age, because of skewed entry etc). By comparing like with like, everyone has an equal chance.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

to get highest SS for oldest kid - she has to get really high raw score more higher than younger kid.
No. Unless the difference in age makes a big difference to the scores the oldest and youngest are getting, There will be little, possibly no difference.

If there is a big difference then it proves the necessity for age standardisation.

The way it is done makes it fair for everyone. Regardless of when they were born.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Tinkers wrote:
to get highest SS for oldest kid - she has to get really high raw score more higher than younger kid.
No. Unless the difference in age makes a big difference to the scores the oldest and youngest are getting, There will be little, possibly no difference.

If there is a big difference then it proves the necessity for age standardisation.

The way it is done makes it fair for everyone. Regardless of when they were born.
Jinx padlock Tinkers!
mad?
BerkshireDad

Post by BerkshireDad »

Thanks tinkers. Somehow I still can not believe unless I see raw scores:-). May be another FOI needed asking age wise raw scores
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

BerkshireDad wrote:Thanks tinkers. Somehow I still can not believe unless I see raw scores:-). May be another FOI needed asking age wise raw scores
I suspect you will struggle to get that out of CEM. I think (but not sure) you can get your own child’s raw score out of CEM, but I wouldn't hold out much hope getting data for others as well. Without that it really doesn't tell you much anyway (which is how CEM like it to be)
GL were more forth coming with such anonymised data (hence why I know about my DD and others).

Worth a go if it might give you piece of mind, just be warned it is unlikely to be fruitful.
BerkshireDad

Post by BerkshireDad »

I understand the reason for the exam pattern to be secretive. but why it has to be secret how they do standardisation? It has to be in public domain to be honest.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

BerkshireDad wrote:I understand the reason for the exam pattern to be secretive. but why it has to be secret how they do standardisation? It has to be in public domain to be honest.

I totally agree.

Ive sent you a PM btw.