Tutor for 11+ Preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aarush

Tutor for 11+ Preparation

Post by aarush »

All,
Is it essential to have tutor for the preparation of Grammar school entrance exam? If we can not afford tutors, where can I buy the study material? Generally how much time does it take to prepare for the exam? My son is in Year 5 and we are planning to start his preparation for 11+ exam.
Thanks
yoyo123

Re: Tutor for 11+ Preparation

Post by yoyo123 »

What schools are you interested in? Was it independent schools only?
The test varies from school to school (or local authority)
aarush

Post by aarush »

Thanks. I am looking for Grammar schools in Berkshire and Slough area.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

you would be better posting in the Berkshire section then.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Independent schools are fee paying schools - not grammar schools.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I will move this to Berkshire section
Yo-yo

This will give you some idea of preparation materials
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Berkshire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

aarush wrote:Thanks. I am looking for Grammar schools in Berkshire and Slough area.

I take it you are looking at Reading School and the Slough schools. The exam will be CEM and it will be one exam, but you will need to register with both to share the score. When you register with Reading and Slough, you will be asked where you’re son will sit the exam.

Are you living somewhere where your DS can easily travel to the various options?
aarush

Post by aarush »

Thanks.
I have shifted from Scotland a month ago. At the moment, I am staying at rented accommodation in Egham Surrey. I am looking for property to buy somewhere in Reading as my job is in Winnersh. Hence I am planning for Grammar schools in Reading and Slough. We could be flexible for travel to various options if we get better school.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You will need to be living in catchment by the end of August at the end of year 5 to be classed as being in catchment for Reading School. They have not offered day places ooc in many, many years. If you aren’t in catchment by then it’s not worth your DS taking the test, even if you move afterwards.

I’m not so familiar with Slough schools’ admission policies, but Langley has quite tight catchments and St Bernard’s is a RC school. I have posted a thread with links to their admissions pages at the top of the Berkshire forum, along with historic admissions data.

If you move into the Winnersh/Earley area, there are a number of excellent local schools you could consider as well. Just bear in mind that you would have to be within a mile of Maiden Erlegh to get a place there.
aarush

Post by aarush »

Thank you for your advice!