Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:47 pm 

Good afternoon

I am a new member looking to get my son to sit 11 plus exam. I want to know if Reading Grammar is the only option we have? Thank you for your help.

I will be exploring this forum further. I can see a lot of useful information.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:14 pm 

It’s the only realistic option, travel wise, unless you are prepared to move.

It’s *possible* to get places at one of the Slough schools, see the links for admissions in the stickies at the top of the forum as they have different ones (I doubt Langley is a goer). However look at travel options very carefully. There’s options from East Reading/Earley But probably not from Tilehurst. There’s little no to benefit to be gained from going to a GS if the journey takes a lot out of your child and they don’t get the chance to take full part what schools offer them other than just the academic school stuff.

You also need to consider your DS will cope with after school activities, group HW tasks and how you will get to things like concerts and parents evening, (and if you ever need to get to school if they are ill or need something). Later on the schools may offer after extra sessions that may not be an option if travel is difficult. My DD has been offered GCSE booster sessions after school, and been able to work on textiles coursework after school, because she has no issues getting home as we live close.

Slough is an easy option test wise as you do one test for both Reading and Slough, as long as you make sure you register with both.

Bucks isn’t an option, no Bucks GS School is likely to offer that far out. It’s also a different test.

What are your local secondary schools options? I’m from East Reading so not as familiar with the west side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm 

Admissions links for Slough
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44649

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:08 pm 

Thank you Tinkers

We have Denefield & Little heath schools near us but I think they are just average schools.

So from process perspective, we register with both Reading & Slough GS schools and perhaps make a decision after result is announced?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm 

The process last year was that you had to register with both Reading and Slough separately, but you stated where your DS will sit the exam. I’d advise checking what the procedure is nearer the time as it can change from year to year, it caught out a few people last year as the registering with both is a relatively new thing.

Once you get the results, you can then see if your DS has any chance of getting a place. I keep the historic data threads at the top of the Berkshire forum up to date as a reference.
You can then decide where you want to apply.

Denefield and Little Heath May be ‘average’ compared to say Reading but they will have a much broader ability intake compared a GS, so that’s to be expected. Tbh, unless there’s something distractically wrong with them your DS will probably do better at one of them with a shorter, much less tiring journey to school than they would with an excessively long journey to a Slough school. And they would have more time for HW etc. If you decided on a Slough School after the results, then you should seriously consider moving closer.