New starting today, is score diff from bucks eg 121?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Reading Mum

Re: New starting today, is score diff from bucks eg 121?

Post by Reading Mum »

The tests for Bucks and Kendrick (inc Slough) are different. You will need to read the prep posts for each.

For Bucks, you need 121 or above and then your score does not matter

For Kendrick your score does matter. The in catchment girls are ranked by score and places are offered in descending score order. There are a couple of exceptions around pupil premium and looked after children who just have to 'pass' but then it is just down to the highest scores getting the places. There will be more in catchment girls who 'pass' than there are places so score is very important.

My DD is at Kendrick along with Tinkers' DD.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Reading Mum wrote:The tests for Bucks and Kendrick (inc Slough) are different. You will need to read the prep posts for each.

For Kendrick your score does matter. The in catchment girls are ranked by score and places are offered in descending score order. There are a couple of exceptions around pupil premium and looked after children who just have to 'pass' but then it is just down to the highest scores getting the places. There will be more in catchment girls who 'pass' than there are places so score is very important.

I rang them yesterday and the lady was definite about the score to pass being enough I will call them again!

Thanks Reading Mum and Tinkers. Does DRAMA side seem good I really want a great DRAMA dept for DD I read on their website they were trying to encourage this side but are more a science based school?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

TheHurdle wrote:
Reading Mum wrote:The tests for Bucks and Kendrick (inc Slough) are different. You will need to read the prep posts for each.

TheHurdle wrote: I rang them yesterday and the lady was definite about the score to pass being enough I will call them again!
It depends who you are calling - Bucks will know nothing about the Kendrick exam.
TheHurdle wrote: Thanks Reading Mum and Tinkers. Does DRAMA side seem good I really want a great DRAMA dept for DD I read on their website they were trying to encourage this side but are more a science based school?
Drama is not a big thing at Kendrick - my DD does her drama outside of school. A quick look at the Results page on their website shows just 5 taking it for GCSE in 2016. They do have House drama and drama lessons but if it is an important subject then I would probably think hard about whether Kendrick is the right choice. Kendrick does aim for the 'well rounded girl' but that just means that you can take Art/Music/drama/textiles etc alongside the compulsory 3 sciences, maths, English, MFL, humanity etc as part of the 11 GCSEs
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Thank you

It was Kendrick itself who I rang :roll:

Interesting on the Drama side too - the drama dept at BH was brilliant but I never thought to look at how many take it as a GCSE thank you.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Weird - the only circumstances under which score would not matter, beyond being a 'pass', would be if the child was looked after child or previously looked after child, or was in designated area and receiving pupil premium.

If you look at this thread:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 10&t=44651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can see that 180 girls that qualified were in catchment. There are only 96 places. Score is very important.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

Thanks

I got all excited yesterday as spoke to someone at Bucks council about it and they said the pass is 121 nothing higher matters, so that was a relief but then spoke to lady at kendrick and I was sure she said the same thing,

I will look into it further, it makes sense. Does this mean Kendrick is a super selective?

ps we are not local authority etc so thats not why she would have said it.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

the term 'super selective' seems to mean different things to different people.

800 or so girls take the Kendrick exam for 96 places so competition is fierce. That is no reason to not try if you have a bright daughter. Year 5 is a good time to start thinking about prep

By comparison, Bucks has grammar places for 30% of all pupils.
TheHurdle

Post by TheHurdle »

does that mean it has good capacity?

I think my daughter will do much better doing stuff nearer the time than long drawn out with extra HW.

I am hoping to get books etc myself but I cannot help her in any way with Maths which is what seems to be the sticking point - being sometimes they dont cover the Maths in school needed for the test.

I am hoping to familiarize her with non VR and then looking for tutor to give her help with exam technique and timing etc, and hone comp skills and just get her in that zone really.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

TheHurdle wrote:does that mean it has good capacity?
There are simply more GS in Bucks - it is a Grammar county. There are enough grammar places to hold 30% of Bucks students.
In contrast in Berkshire there are 2 GS in Reading (one boys, one girls) and 4 in Slough and that is it. Plus Berkshire being the shape it is means that Hampshire people and some Oxfordshire people also fall into designated areas.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ok I’m now coming back to this and can see RM has done a sterling job. :D

I can’t really add much more. One of DDs friends is doing drama gcse and I think is enjoying it. It’s her only creative subject as such as she was trying to avoid doing any, but does like drama. In contrast my DD is doing both music and textiles. Drama would be her idea of **** I think. I’d say if your DD was really interested in drama, then she is probably better off doing that outside of school or at a school with more provision than kendrick.

The historic data thread I mentioned and others have already linked to give you an idea of scores required and how many have appliedin previous years. It’s important to also note how many ooc girls take the test and qualify, so you can effectively discount them from the numbers.

Like RM, I’m not sure why you have been given incorrect info about the qualifying score being all that’s needed. That’s true for Bucks but not Kendrick. The top scorers get the places (plus any PP etc DDs that qualify).

Are you also in a position to look at Slough schools? Your DD could sit one test to cover both kendrick and Slough if you register her for both.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now