SLOUGH SCHOOLS 2018 allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2018allocation

Re: SLOUGH SCHOOLS 2018 allocations

Post by 2018allocation »

pia2007 wrote:When I contacted upton court they told if the child passed and in the preference list they will be automatically in the waiting list. The school will send out the letter stating about the waiting list.
I am not sure about the Hershel?
I am in Surrey and they said to contact the school if it’s not in LA. I thought if you don’t get the choice you are automatically placed on waiting list.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2018allocation wrote:
pia2007 wrote:When I contacted upton court they told if the child passed and in the preference list they will be automatically in the waiting list. The school will send out the letter stating about the waiting list.
I am not sure about the Hershel?
I am in Surrey and they said to contact the school if it’s not in LA. I thought if you don’t get the choice you are automatically placed on waiting list.
No, it's up to the school / authority to say whether being put on the waiting list is automatic or has to be requested. Hence your home LA can state what happens with regard to schools in its own area, but the advice when you have applied out of county is to contact the relevant school / LA to check.
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bee

Post by Bee »

Tinkers wrote:
scary mum wrote:
tuburn wrote:Our DD has been offered a place in Upton Court Grammar School. We live in Taplow. Driving from Taplow to the school takes around 20-30 minutes via Eton (less traffic and signals). Train is the best option (6 minutes) but my wife is worried to leave our DD on her own in first year at least. But I am sure that there will be many children coming from Taplow, Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading and taking train every day and then bus or walk from Slough station. Any suggestion from the parents would be helpful.
There is always this concern when your child is still at primary school. You will find that they grow up so much in the next 6 months. You have plenty of time to practice the journey between now & then, and I'm sure there will be lots of students travelling. Personally I travelled on the London Underground to school from the age of 9 to 11. I travelled with an older neighbour for 2 days & then found a buddy of my own age.
Completely agree with SM. Your ‘little’ year 6 will look to be way too small for secondary right now, but trust us, they will be fine. They soon take it in their stride. Best thing to do is a few practice runs over the summer, and discuss the ‘what ifs’ that might happen and how to deal with them. Within a week or two of starting , you will wonder why you were so worried.
This is very true, I never believed what others said in the forum - used to think how can they grow up over night. I had no option but to send her on the tube. We did lots of mock runs during and before summer holidays. The day before the school started she did a mock run by herself. First day I dropped and picked her up, next two days I dropped her and she came home by herself.
We've had some teary moments, getting off at the wrong stop, getting on the wrong tube - but this only makes them more aware, also my DD was a very slow walker, now I can't catch up with her and she probably carries a 5 kg backpack.

All the best and well done to your DD
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

I received an email at about 12.30 with the name of the school offered and a link to the portal to accept/decline etc.
DS got his first (and only) choice which was Upton Court, I’m really pleased as his sister is already there and loves it.

He is currently in a feeder school so high up on the admissions criteria.

We know of 3 other boys who were allocated UCGS, I know one had a score of 123 but also in a feeder school, the other 2 not in a feeder school and don’t know their scores.

Hope you all get the schools you want.

x
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Hi all, my DS got his first choice of St Bernards which means he will be joining his big Sis. As you can guess we are very happy and relieved.

He got 115 in the exam, his best mate got 119 and is also going to St Bernards. (My DD is equally happy and eeping as she knows the two boys will talk a large amount of Pokemon around her).

Transport wise we are local, so my DD has a photo oyster card and I will be getting one for my DS.
It costs around £15 admin fee and needs to have some money on there for tubes etc, otherwise effectively the bus is free. She/ they use the 81 from Slough bus station, getting off just past the school.
It is very popular with other kids.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear what is happening, especially if you are appealing.
fairylights

Post by fairylights »

Hi ther Hel_tcw :)
My DS will also be starting at St Bernard's and we live locally too. I've been trying to figure out the best way for him to get there but not sure i want him cycling yet and the walk would be half an hour - not a problem for him on a nice morning, but your post about the oyster card &getting the 81 bus is intereresting. No one in our family has had an oyster card before, so are you saying that the 81 counts as a London bus and is therefore free even if you aren't ever using it on the tube? So just the £15 admin cost? And would that be the 8.18 bus from Slough station that lots of kids get on? Thanks for flagging up this possibility for me :)
vinkhub

Post by vinkhub »

Good2701 wrote:Hi,

My second DS got 123....what are the chances of him getting Langley?

Can anyone advise?
The following is mentioned in the offer letters/emails sent out on 1st march.

"Langley Grammar School has been heavily oversubscribed for the September 2018 entry and the initial offer of places has been made to all candidates in Priority Area 1. Offers have been made to all those in Priority Area 2 achieving an average score of 116 and above, and those scoring 115 and living closest to the school."
Nuguy

Post by Nuguy »

Herschel Grammer school offers is today, Does anyone got an offer yet?

I'm just wondering about the lowest score this year , is it going to be lower than 117 ?
Nuguy

Post by Nuguy »

I just got the answer, so the lowest score for places offered on rank order of performance is 117 for Herschel and also for Upton court grammar school
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Er Nuguy, offers day was 1st March. As it always is.
The lowest pass mark is 111. As it always is.
It doesn’t matter what the lowest score to get a place is, as this will change (a little).
What *will* help, is to know who has got a place with score a, and who is waitlisted withbscore B. Unless Herschel have other )eg local place) criteria.