Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I was thinking the same thing, anotherdad....we have lots of family and friends in that area and I think they would beg to differ!!
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

anotherdad wrote:
mgm3 wrote:hi scary mum,
Thats right.My other options are Slough and Maidenhead. Yes workwise it would be good for me to be in that area/near to langley .But since we are preferring Beconsfiled/Burnam schools in Bucks section, thinking of being i ncatchment area for these two schools ( and since upton court /Herchelles are not far away as well and considering they are more based on the scores and not catchment).
Currently I'm in Basingstoke, Hampshire and there are no good secondary schools in this area.
We are in catchment for Kendrick though. But this is a back up plan
Are you sure? A quick check with Ofsted shows that four out of the six secondary schools in Basingstoke are rated 'Good'.
Well not sure of the ratings though.But most of my friends moved from here either moved out of Basingstoke ( for secondary schools) or travelling far or considered independent schools ( again I think its all down to personal preferences )
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

mgm3 wrote:Well not sure of the ratings though.
I can help there:

Vyne Community School - Good
Brighton Hill Community School - Good
Bishop Challoner Catholic Secondary School - Good
The Costello School - Good

All of these are in Basingstoke.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

anotherdad wrote:
mgm3 wrote:Well not sure of the ratings though.
I can help there:

Vyne Community School - Good
Brighton Hill Community School - Good
Bishop Challoner Catholic Secondary School - Good
The Costello School - Good

All of these are in Basingstoke.
Thanks. But what I heard from the people /friends here ( from Basingstoke) is that of all the above schools,
Bishop Challoner Catholic school is better amongst the listed. And I cannot get a seat there as I'm not catholic.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I assume you visited these schools for yourself before you decided to relocate your whole family in order to avoid them?

You can't make decisions about schools based on what other people say. All our children are different and have different needs from their schools - you might find that one of your local schools is exactly what your DC needs.

If you do decide to move because of schools, then choosing Bucks is a high-risk approach because of its grammar/upper system. You might be better off finding a comp you love, with admissions criteria based on distance from school, and moving next door to it.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

mgm3 wrote:Thanks. But what I heard from the people /friends here ( from Basingstoke) is that of all the above schools,
Bishop Challoner Catholic school is better amongst the listed. And I cannot get a seat there as I'm not catholic.
That still leaves three 'Good' schools to look at.

streathammum has nailed it. Friends' opinions of schools are just one consideration, and a pretty weak one at that, especially if they moved away and didn't even send their child to them! It is no substitute for doing your own homework by looking at the website, Ofsted report and above all, visiting during the school day. I think you've been pretty unfair in maligning the schools by saying that there are no good secondary schools in the area, based only upon hearsay.

mgm3, do carefully consider your options here. Moving house is an expensive upheaval and carries a number of risks. If, after you've carried out some research into the schools in your area, you consider that none of them are good enough for you, and if you are intent on seeking a place at a grammar school, then you will need to be very careful on the location you choose. As you will see from this year's allocations, most schools' allocation distances have reduced again, so whichever you are looking at, make sure you are within this year's distances to give yourself the best chance next year if your child qualifies. You also need to look at alternatives in the event of non-qualification. Some upper schools are in challenging situations and comprehensives on the borders of Bucks are consequently in high demand.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would think that the Upper alternative in Burnham is the school with least first preferences in the whole of Bucks and, as someone said, is in special measures again. Personally I would not risk this move.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

hi All,
Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs and recommendations. I shall check the options and plan accordingly. I know its not easy but I'll work on the options available and plan my move as required.
Thanks once again for your inputs. If I need anything on this I might post a query here and seek your support/advice on this.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

If kendrick is the goal and you are looking for good back ups, maybe consider moving to be close (within 3miles judging by this year’s allocations) to the Holt in Wokingham or move to the East Reading/Earley border, where you’ll have a choice of Maiden Erlegh, Maiden Erlegh in Reading and Bulmershe. All four are good schools (but quite different in ethos and style). I have friends with children at all four and all are happy. All are oversubscribed so you’ll need to check allocations and admissions criteria. (I have allocations info tucked away if you need it)

However I will echo what others have said. You really do need to see schools for yourself rather than go on others’ opinions. I know several people with DCs at another school locally. They all have widely different views on it. They don’t know each other. One raves about it, one thinks it’s ok but ‘could do better’ and one reckons that it’s awful and the worst choice they made. It’s the same school, but three different opinions. You need to make your own and you can only do that by looking for yourself.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Tinkers wrote:If kendrick is the goal and you are looking for good back ups, maybe consider moving to be close (within 3miles judging by this year’s allocations) to the Holt in Wokingham or move to the East Reading/Earley border, where you’ll have a choice of Maiden Erlegh, Maiden Erlegh in Reading and Bulmershe. All four are good schools (but quite different in ethos and style). I have friends with children at all four and all are happy. All are oversubscribed so you’ll need to check allocations and admissions criteria. (I have allocations info tucked away if you need it)

However I will echo what others have said. You really do need to see schools for yourself rather than go on others’ opinions. I know several people with DCs at another school locally. They all have widely different views on it. They don’t know each other. One raves about it, one thinks it’s ok but ‘could do better’ and one reckons that it’s awful and the worst choice they made. It’s the same school, but three different opinions. You need to make your own and you can only do that by looking for yourself.
Thanks Tinkers. Yes I've also heard about Maiden Earlegh (ME) and some of my friends moved to Earley/Lower Earley and one got entry into the ME recently . But what I'm not sure on the maximum allocation distance for these schools ( Holt, ME, ME Reading and Bulmershe) and the actual chances of getting a seat there, considering the no of people opting these in the nearby area .If you have any information on this, please share the details on recent allocations.
By the way , is there any place near Earley/border of Reading where one can be eligible/within cachment of Holt and ME?

Regaridng the schools, I agree with you and other. While I do take the openions from friends, I'm making sure to visit the schools in person and take a final decision after considering factors that would suit my personal circimstances..
But I really appreciate all your suggestions and inputs in this regard.