commute to Reading boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
swapna

commute to Reading boys

Post by swapna »

Hi All,

My son got into Reading boys due to start Sept 2018, I will be moving to close to school so my son can walk to school, I will be pleased to know two things as i'm new to the area around the school

1. which area is safe to rent the house for easy commute
2. Any kids planning to walk to school.

Appreciate any leads,
single mum.
Reading Mum

Re: commute to Reading boys

Post by Reading Mum »

Hi

what do you mean by 'safe'?
My DD walks past Reading to Kendrick. Lots of kids walk.
There are nicer areas and some that are less so but if you are thinking about walking distance then the area between the school and the uni would make sense.
Price may make your decision for you - or availability.
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Our girls are at Kendrick and walk or cycle everyday. We're less than 1 mile away, in the University area and there seems to be a fair number of kids walking/cycling to either Kendrick or Reading Boys in our area.

Obviously I think this is a nice area (we're near Palmer Park too, so nice green spaces between the park and the Uni grounds), with easy access into town - walk, cycle or bus.

How about a Rightmove search by distance from Reading School?
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to- ... ewType=MAP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’d agree with RM. anywhere around the Uni area, around Wokingham road area (how far depends on how far he wants to walk) or near the hospital would be ideal for him to walk to school.
If you look at Reading Buses website you can also see the various routes that go close to the school and may allow you to live a little further out if that helps.

One thing to bear in mind when looking is that the East Reading area is very likely to get A parking permit scheme in the near future , so that may come into your decision making.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

OP, firstly Congratulations to your son. Well done. You must be really proud of him.

Another vote for East Reading, University/Palmer park area. The park, the shops and primary school can come in handy if you have a younger DC.