Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mgm3

Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Post by mgm3 »

hi ,
I'm planning to move to Taplow/Burnam area some time around summer 2018. My DD is in year 5 now and would be apprearing the 11plus exam in Sep18. In case if she misses the qualifying score for Bucks in the entrace exam, I'm looking for a good secondary school in/around this area (Taplow/Burnam) as a back up plan. Any information /guidance on this would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Re: Back up Seondary schools in Taplow/Burnam area

Post by scary mum »

The local upper school in Burnham is not well thought of, and I don't think anyone would recommend it as a back up. It might be best to look up a few of the schools and ask about specific ones rather than a general question. I'm assuming Slough schools and Maidenhead schools are your other options? There are some good comprehensive schools in Maidenhead, I believe.
Does it have to be Burnham or Taplow? Do you need to be there for work, or something? I wouldn't recommend moving just for the schools if you have good schools where you already live.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

It’s very sensible to research back-up options. If your DD passes, BGS is lovely (mixed GS with great pastoral care and lots of different activities for children both in and out of school time)

Burnham Upper (Burnham e-act Academy) has been in Ofsted special measures for several years, they are apparently improving but have a constant battle with local perceptions and staff retention. It is worth looking at theor website and attending an open day to see what you think as opposed to the local publicity. I don’t personally know anyone with DC there.

I have heard very positive things about Maidenhead Girls school from someone who has two DC there, I believe you would possibly be in cachement depending on which bit of taplow/burnham you are in, there are train or bus options if you are in the right location.
Depends upon how you think re single sex education....

Another option (not ideal but better performing than Burnham Academy) is Beechwood school, it’s on the edge of Britwell estate and not for everyone. I have the feeling their cachement would be too tight for a Taplow location and tryst me, you don’t want to move to Britwell if you have the budget for Burnham/Taplow! (Google britwell for a bit of local info/history.)
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

scary mum wrote:The local upper school in Burnham is not well thought of, and I don't think anyone would recommend it as a back up. It might be best to look up a few of the schools and ask about specific ones rather than a general question. I'm assuming Slough schools and Maidenhead schools are your other options? There are some good comprehensive schools in Maidenhead, I believe.
Does it have to be Burnham or Taplow? Do you need to be there for work, or something? I wouldn't recommend moving just for the schools if you have good schools where you already live.
hi scary mum,
Thats right.My other options are Slough and Maidenhead. Yes workwise it would be good for me to be in that area/near to langley .But since we are preferring Beconsfiled/Burnam schools in Bucks section, thinking of being i ncatchment area for these two schools ( and since upton court /Herchelles are not far away as well and considering they are more based on the scores and not catchment).
Currently I'm in Basingstoke, Hampshire and there are no good secondary schools in this area.
We are in catchment for Kendrick though. But this is a back up plan
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Aethel wrote:It’s very sensible to research back-up options. If your DD passes, BGS is lovely (mixed GS with great pastoral care and lots of different activities for children both in and out of school time)

Burnham Upper (Burnham e-act Academy) has been in Ofsted special measures for several years, they are apparently improving but have a constant battle with local perceptions and staff retention. It is worth looking at theor website and attending an open day to see what you think as opposed to the local publicity. I don’t personally know anyone with DC there.

I have heard very positive things about Maidenhead Girls school from someone who has two DC there, I believe you would possibly be in cachement depending on which bit of taplow/burnham you are in, there are train or bus options if you are in the right location.
Depends upon how you think re single sex education....

Another option (not ideal but better performing than Burnham Academy) is Beechwood school, it’s on the edge of Britwell estate and not for everyone. I have the feeling their cachement would be too tight for a Taplow location and tryst me, you don’t want to move to Britwell if you have the budget for Burnham/Taplow! (Google britwell for a bit of local info/history.)
Hi Aethel,
Many thanks for the information. I shall research a bit more on the options you mentioned and also the Britwell area as well.I'm currently considering my move around Nursery road in Burnam (SL6 0JU). But I'm flexible . Also i'm fine with girls school/mixed.

Thanks.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't mean to be unkind, and your phone is probably auto correcting the spelling, but if you are thinking of moving to Burnham, it might be an idea to spell it correctly. It will make googling things easier!
scary mum
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

scary mum wrote:I don't mean to be unkind, and your phone is probably auto correcting the spelling, but if you are thinking of moving to Burnham, it might be an idea to spell it correctly. It will make googling things easier!
my apologies for that scary mum. Yes , it was something to do with my laptop keyboard ( as some of the keys are not working properly). I meant Burnham.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Don’t move to the Bucks/Slough area considering Kendrick, the travel would be dreadful.

If Langley is an option both Langley Academy and Ditton Park (new Academy close to Upton Court Park) are oversubscribed and popular with tight cachements.

If you move to South Bucks (Iver, Iver Heath, Stoke Poges, Fulmer) then the backup Upper is Chalfont Community College, which is huge, some folk really like it, others less convinced. You would be in cachement for Becky High in Bucks, so if that’s a target school for you being in bucks would be a much better idea than on the Berkshire/Hillingdon side.

If Cippenham (South West Slough) is an option then WestGate School is Ofsted outstanding and I know multiple parents who have turned down grammar places because they feel Westgate is better.
mgm3

Post by mgm3 »

Aethel wrote:Don’t move to the Bucks/Slough area considering Kendrick, the travel would be dreadful.

If Langley is an option both Langley Academy and Ditton Park (new Academy close to Upton Court Park) are oversubscribed and popular with tight cachements.

If you move to South Bucks (Iver, Iver Heath, Stoke Poges, Fulmer) then the backup Upper is Chalfont Community College, which is huge, some folk really like it, others less convinced. You would be in cachement for Becky High in Bucks, so if that’s a target school for you being in bucks would be a much better idea than on the Berkshire/Hillingdon side.

If Cippenham (South West Slough) is an option then WestGate School is Ofsted outstanding and I know multiple parents who have turned down grammar places because they feel Westgate is better.
Thank you very much Aethel for sharing valuable information and the possible options.Much appreciated.If we get Kendrick, definitely we would move to Reading ( I know its a pain. But i don't mind).
I'll carefully consider these options and decide accordingly. But do you think staying in Taplow would make it tough to make it to WestGate? Considering what you mentioned about the demand for this school, do you think catchment area would be very limited area?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

mgm3 wrote:hi scary mum,
Thats right.My other options are Slough and Maidenhead. Yes workwise it would be good for me to be in that area/near to langley .But since we are preferring Beconsfiled/Burnam schools in Bucks section, thinking of being i ncatchment area for these two schools ( and since upton court /Herchelles are not far away as well and considering they are more based on the scores and not catchment).
Currently I'm in Basingstoke, Hampshire and there are no good secondary schools in this area.
We are in catchment for Kendrick though. But this is a back up plan
Are you sure? A quick check with Ofsted shows that four out of the six secondary schools in Basingstoke are rated 'Good'.