Any advice for nice areas close to Herschel Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nuguy

Any advice for nice areas close to Herschel Grammar School

Post by Nuguy »

Hi,

My son has been offered a place in Herschel grammar school, we plan to move close to the area but to be honest we don't have any idea about good areas in Slough.
Any advice regarding good areas, bad areas to avoid. For your information my husband work from home he goes to office in Watford once a week and also I have 2 children in primary school, any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time
scary mum

Re: Any advice for nice areas close to Herschel Grammar Scho

Post by scary mum »

Slough itself is fairly grim. It depends what you are looking for & what sort of budget. Given that Herschel is in the west of Slough, I would recommend going west towards Burnham or Taplow or north west or north (Farnham Common or Stoke Poges). I don't know what the transport is like to Herschel so I would say to go for somewhere which is a single bus ride away. At least on this side of Herschel you can get to the M25 relatively easily to get to the M25. Maybe if you drive over & have a look around you could then ask about specific areas.
In the end it will come down to budget - the nicer areas will be eye wateringly expensive, the grottier areas less so.
scary mum
Nuguy

Post by Nuguy »

Thanks scary mum for your prompt message,

We have booked some house viewing for this week mainly in Cippenham and Burnham, we also thinking about Windsor, I don't mind to drive far for the school. As we are going to sell our house I can say that we have a good budget.
Is Cippenham a nice area ?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The parts of Cippenham that I know are not places that I would want to live, but that is a personal choice, you may feel differently. I would really advise against planning on driving to school for 7 years. The traffic is terrible & your son will have a much better time at school if he can get there in his own. Did you not visit the area before deciding that this was the best school for your son?
scary mum
Nuguy

Post by Nuguy »

Thanks , I will definitely consider your advices.
No we didn't visit the area but we visited the school itself, my son liked it.
We chose QE barnet and Aylesbury grammar schools in our first CAF but as you know this year is really tough, my son still in their waiting lists and we don't think he is going to secure a place there. As plan B we made a late application for Slough grammar school as initially we have been limited to 3 choices in the CAF, now he got a place in Herschel, we happy about the school, it is an outstanding and has a good reputation.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

We live just off Elliman Avenue, which connects Wexham (lots of primary schools) with Farhnam Road/ Manor Park. It is very close to Herschell GS.

It isn't a bad area, though not very fancy. We have lived here for 18 years so are quite happy.

I would suggest having a look at the area, tbh
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:Slough itself is fairly grim.
Reminds me of when we were moving for DH's work and I asked a colleague who lived in Basildon (where he would be based) to recommend somewhere nice / convenient to commute from.

'Suffolk' was the immediate response :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now