Upton Court School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

panthus_41

Upton Court School

Post by panthus_41 »

Hi,

Are there parents of kids from Upton Court Grammar school ? Please can I have some feedback.

I was randomly looking in Google reviews last day and saw a sudden surge of negative reviews ,especially aimed at the head teacher. Wondering why this has happened.

I hope this question is relevant to the forum. Admin, please delete otherwise.

Many thanks
rhiane

Re: Upton Court School

Post by rhiane »

I have 2 DC at UCGS but DS only started yesterday !

DD, who is in Y10 mentioned a few months ago that the new head isn’t as ‘nice’ as the previous head but I put that down to him not having settled down yet.

I’d be interested to read these reviews can you send me a link please?
I’ll also ask DD if she has any updates on him.
There were a higher number of teachers that left at the end of last year (July 2018) not sure if that could be related? Although I know some had very good reasons such as moving to a Pacific island/pregnant etc
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'm afraid I have no personal experience of this school but am replying to try to help in the absence of anyone else.

However, in short, I have not insight into this, I know 2 parents with DC there and they are very happy with it. Be cautious of online reviews unless substantiated (I appreciate that is what you are trying to do here :) ) as they can be posted for various reasons not all of them virtuous :wink:

ETA sorry I am so slow that someone much better placed has posted in between. Good luck!
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

panthus_41 wrote:Hi,

Are there parents of kids from Upton Court Grammar school ? Please can I have some feedback.

I was randomly looking in Google reviews last day and saw a sudden surge of negative reviews ,especially aimed at the head teacher. Wondering why this has happened.

I hope this question is relevant to the forum. Admin, please delete otherwise.

Many thanks
I am going to PM you.
trimission

Post by trimission »

Hi Tinkers

Please can you PM me as well on this topic? Upton is our preferred school due to logistics, so I'm also slightly worried by the reviews mentioned above.

Thanks
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

trimission wrote:Hi Tinkers

Please can you PM me as well on this topic? Upton is our preferred school due to logistics, so I'm also slightly worried by the reviews mentioned above.

Thanks
I really wouldn't read too much into this.
I would like to have seen these reviews and have searched online but can't find any reviews resembling what the OP said.
Also not sure why the OP hasn't been back?

I have 2 DC at UCGS one in year 10 who loves it there and one who has just started in Y7 who again is loving it.

I did question DD again (Y10) about the new HT as she originally said he wasn't as nice as the previous HT (who was amazing and really brought the school up to scratch) and she says she has now warmed to him, she feels he has some big shoes to fill as the previous HT was quite a dynamic lady and very popular, she now feels he's the right person for the job.

As far as I am concerned it is a great school.
I have 2 very happy DC who enjoy going to school and are doing well both socially and academically, what more can a parent ask for!
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

OP, it doesn’t look like much to bother about.

I have looked at the google reviews and they sound like they are joke reviews left by kids (basically along the lines of “ this school and the head is rubbish innit “... one of them claims that another school locally is better!.... ie it’s random trolling, maybe even from a pupil at the other school. Just ignore. You get similar reviews on Tripadvisor, NHs choices and any public access webpage where anonymous comments are permitted.

FWIW I don’t have DC at Upton but I’m good friends with a mum of a year 8 boy and he says the school is great (mum is very happy with them too). From
What I understand, the old head was extremely charismatic, so is a hard act to follow, rather than the new head being lacking.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Aethel wrote:FWIW I don’t have DC at Upton but I’m good friends with a mum of a year 8 boy and he says the school is great (mum is very happy with them too). From
What I understand, the old head was extremely charismatic, so is a hard act to follow, rather than the new head being lacking.
Absolutely agree, you've hit the nail on the head!
DD said one of the reasons she wasn't initially keen on the new head was because he enforced the uniform policy, insisting that skirts (including DDs!) be knee length (or just above) She's got over that now.