Reading Students - Eligibility for Slough Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Reading Students - Eligibility for Slough Schools

Post by Tinkers »

I think the M4 ‘smart’ motorway upgrade over the next few years is going to have a fair amount of impact on travel times too, even those not using the M4, as traffic shifts to avoid it.

Having had to drive to Taplow (from East Reading) at that sort of time a few times in the past (but not every day thankfully), using both the A4 and M4 routes, I wouldn’t want to be driving my child every day and I’m not sure I’d want her doing that journey by coach either. I see the traffic often (at least once a week) stationary on the M4 between the J11 and J10 as I go along a parallel road. That’s at 7:20am. I suspect that will get worse with the planned roadworks.

If the train is an option then that would be better.

If you are in the East Reading area, the local schools are probably a much better option as your DC can be a more active member of the school and have more local friends (also good when doing group homeorks). What you think your DC might gain from being in a GS, you’ll probably lose by the increased travel times etc.

It’s not just the extra curricular stuff either. During GCSEs my DDs school had teachers offering after school revision booster sessions. I’m sure other schools do too. If you are tied in to fixed travel times, (like private school coaches) then these opportunities are not an option.
Gloriousparent

Post by Gloriousparent »

I agree with your points Tinkers.

I would ideally not like to send kids to slough, but keeping our options open. Probably just satisfying ourselves ! :?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have a colleague who lives in Slough and he wouldn’t even consider the reverse journey to Reading for his, as he does actually do the journey everyday.
Gloriousparent

Post by Gloriousparent »

Reactivating this thread for parents based in Reading and looking forward for Slough res
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Beware the M4. The last couple of days have been a nightmare.
Gloriousparent

Post by Gloriousparent »

DS got the score of 119.

Any chances of getting admission in Herschel? There is a school bus from Reading taking about 30 minutes to Herschel.

I have very little likeness for the few catchment area schools for various reasons so keeping options open.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Gloriousparent wrote:DS got the score of 119.

Any chances of getting admission in Herschel? There is a school bus from Reading taking about 30 minutes to Herschel.

I have very little likeness for the few catchment area schools for various reasons so keeping options open.
What are you catchment options? (PM me if you don’t want to post openly.) I might be able to or confirm your reservations, or offer alternatives you might not have considered.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Gloriousparent wrote:DS got the score of 119.

at the moment it can take more than 30 mins just to get out of Reading. Throw in major roadworks turning the M4 into a 'smart' motorway and that seems a very unlikely schedule
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Monday and Tuesday this week have been a nightmare on the M4 and today it was the turn of the Reading to Paddington Train line (so affecting those traveling to Slough).

I’ve mentioned before that I have a colleague who lives in Slough, but works here in Reading and after several years of traveling between the two would never even consider Reading or Kendrick for his children (before catchments meant it wasn’t an option), even though he would be traveling this way himself anyway. I have other colleagues in live in Bucks who arrive at work at 7:00 to avoid being stuck in traffic.

He travels west which is arguably easy and traveling east towards London. The roadworks are only going to cause more problems, both on the M4 and ten alternative routes.

There’s a local problem on the M4 on average once a week.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now