Reading Students - Eligibility for Slough Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gloriousparent

Reading Students - Eligibility for Slough Schools

Post by Gloriousparent »

Hello All,
My DS has appeared for 2018 Reading Exam and also filled the Slough consortium form for the marks to be shared. I am a bit confused on whether DS would be able to opt for any Slough schools based on his marks as he is from outside the catchment, we are based in Reading. Can anyone please provide some details on which schools to look for in Slough which would admit the OOC candidates.

Ciao
Tinkers

Re: Reading Students - Eligibility for Slough Schools

Post by Tinkers »

Have a look here for historic admissions data.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =10&t=9313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Langley is a complete no as they have priority areas.

However you would have to look seriously at transport options as well before you committed to putting a Slough School down. I suspect travel in that direction (whether in the A4 or M4) is only going to get worse now they are starting the M4 smart motorway work. If you have the option of the train then I suspect that would be better.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Hi

I know UCGS take up to 120 DC in rank order after they have offered to Looked after/Pupil Premium/SEN/Feeder schools (2 at the moment but they are in the process of taking another 2 under their wing) children of staff etc.

Herschel also offer places in rank order after taking all in catchment (4 miles) and Looked after/Pupil premium/SEN (within 10 miles) etc etc

St Bernards being a faith school have a completely different admission policy, i'd be surprised if they went out as far as Reading, but I don't know?

Langley will take DC from further afield if they have places left after offering all in their 3 priority area's, I would have thought it unlikely any places would be left though?

Have a look at all the websites, their admission criteria is all there.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Tinkers wrote: However you would have to look seriously at transport options as well before you committed to putting a Slough School down. I suspect travel in that direction (whether in the A4 or M4) is only going to get worse now they are starting the M4 smart motorway work. If you have the option of the train then I suspect that would be better.
I agree
Gloriousparent

Post by Gloriousparent »

Thank you Tinkers, Rhiane,

On a detailed look at Langley Grammer School, there are some seats reserved for music students.

Any idea how to apply for these seats. Have we missed the boat or application is to be done only after the results are out.

Ciao
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I may be looking in the wrong place, but can't see any mention of music places here

https://www.lgs.slough.sch.uk/page/?tit ... ion&pid=49
Last edited by ToadMum on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Both my DC go to St Bernards - my DD says that one of her form mates comes in from Reading. Plus some come from Burnham and I'm guessing Maidenhead etc. As well as from the London area.

It will depend on your faith - if you are Catholic then you will be accepted, and I think all Christians are also accepted. Their new admissions policy are prioritising local people of other faiths which is new.

My 2 dc really like the school - even my DS who started a couple of weeks ago.

I would suggest a) looking at all the admissions policy,
b) going to the open evenings (St B's is next Wed evening)
c) looking at the school calendar for each of the schools as this will give you an idea of school trips ie how early he/you will have to up and
d) looking at how he will get there - is there a coach from your area, or is do you live near the train station etc. I know that a lot of DC for St B's and UCGS catch the 81 bus as the photo oyster card is very cheap.

Good luck with your choice

(We did the opposite - looked at how my DD would get to Kendrick if she wanted to go, we decided not to due to the amount of travel time and that It is hard enough to get her out of bed as it is lol).

Helen
Gloriousparent

Post by Gloriousparent »

hel_tcw wrote:Both my DC go to St Bernards - my DD says that one of her form mates comes in from Reading. Plus some come from Burnham and I'm guessing Maidenhead etc. As well as from the London area.

It will depend on your faith - if you are Catholic then you will be accepted, and I think all Christians are also accepted. Their new admissions policy are prioritising local people of other faiths which is new.

My 2 dc really like the school - even my DS who started a couple of weeks ago.

I would suggest a) looking at all the admissions policy,
b) going to the open evenings (St B's is next Wed evening)
c) looking at the school calendar for each of the schools as this will give you an idea of school trips ie how early he/you will have to up and
d) looking at how he will get there - is there a coach from your area, or is do you live near the train station etc. I know that a lot of DC for St B's and UCGS catch the 81 bus as the photo oyster card is very cheap.

Good luck with your choice

(We did the opposite - looked at how my DD would get to Kendrick if she wanted to go, we decided not to due to the amount of travel time and that It is hard enough to get her out of bed as it is lol).

Helen
Thanks hel/tcw.

Keeping fingers Crossed, lets see what the results are.

Do slough and Reading results come out on same day?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In the last few years Slough have given out their results a day or two before Reading/Kendrick (from memory).

Slough scores are typically higher than R/K scores.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Gloriousparent, there are no longer any music aptitude places at Langley Grammar school: they were abolished when the school moved to level 1/2/3 cachements.

The travel time from Reading to the Langley end of Slough would be awful by car, if you’re Catholic then St Bernard’s may be worth looking at, but even so. I have heard of kids coming from Reading station to Slough on the fast morning trains but getting to Reading station needs to be factored in and then there’s a good 15 min walk from the station to the schools (only Upton and St B’s are walking distance from
There.) it’s a heck of a journey for a lone 11 year old.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now