READING RESULTS 2018 (2019 entry)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: READING RESULTS 2018 (2019 entry)

Post by Tinkers »

ConfusedFather wrote:
wasabi1 wrote:My DS got 111.67 wonder if he will make it to the cutoff this year. When will we get any clarity ?
March 1st I am afraid, all the rest is musing and hypothesising with no real data to support any sort of calculations.
I share your frustration.
Yes the 1st March. Until then no one has a clue as you have no idea who will put down what’s schools on their CAF and in what order.

In the last couple of years that score would have been fine.
Clueless_mum

Post by Clueless_mum »

elf01 wrote:
Clueless_mum wrote:Really disappointed that DS scored just 105.50.
He was doing well but then it's the performance on the day that matters. Maybe Reading school wasn't the right school for him as he's a very sporty and playful boy and doesn't have the seriousness.
Could someone please enlighten me on state schools that we can apply to? We are in spencers Wood and the only school closest is Oakbank but we aren't too keen on it.
Congratulations to all those that passed :)

Don't be disappointed - that would have got him into every Slough grammar - tell him that! His score of 115 (approximate to Slough - add '10') is comfortably above the 111 for Slough. Everyone seems to forget it is the same exam and that Kendrick/Reading are superselective schools with huge catchments. The reason that the mark is 'higher' for Slough is that more kids take it so the distribution of the scores is wider (don't forget it is not an absolute mark but calculated using standard deviation). Depending how tight the distribution of the marks, a '105' may only be a few percent below a 112. That is why the exam is actually quite 'cruel' in a superselective area - all the kids are bright. A kid getting 105 is a clever, able child - particularly if they lean to the maths/nvr side which is only 50% of the paper - the verbal side the tutorable side for many (some don't need it if gifted in language) - unfortunate but true. Take heart - your kid will do well and should feel confident with that score NOT less confident.
Thank you. That was very comforting. We told our lovely, playful DS how proud we were of him. We might put herschel and upton court on the caf then.
enidb

Post by enidb »

Congratulations to all DC who have passed. My son scored 107.48 for Reading, we are heartbroken but have very good alternate options. Good luck to all DC for their onward journey !
afather

Post by afather »

Hi,
My DS got a score of 110.1 in Reading School, 120 in Slough consortium, above 121 in Buckinghamshire and we are in Reading School catchment area; is there any tiny chance he would get in Reading School,? I know last time it was stopped at 110.45 (not sure this is including waiting list or not?)
The local state school results are almost close to Slough Consortium and Buckinghamshire schools and am just confused is it worth making move in two weeks to either Slough or Buckinghamshire just for the same standard (but not grammar) school 5mins away from home? Any advises are much appreciated!! Thanks for reading…..and good luck for all….
Regards
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You are highly unlikely to get any Bucks school from Reading.
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

afather wrote:Hi,
My DS got a score of 110.1 in Reading School, 120 in Slough consortium, above 121 in Buckinghamshire and we are in Reading School catchment area; is there any tiny chance he would get in Reading School,? I know last time it was stopped at 110.45 (not sure this is including waiting list or not?)
The local state school results are almost close to Slough Consortium and Buckinghamshire schools and am just confused is it worth making move in two weeks to either Slough or Buckinghamshire just for the same standard (but not grammar) school 5mins away from home? Any advises are much appreciated!! Thanks for reading…..and good luck for all….
Regards
It is impossible to predict where 110.1 will land your DC without knowing what the distribution of results look like. Compared to the last few years and taking into account the 15% increase in qualifying students (+30), I would say it is improbable, BUT if the distribution curve is more centered around 100 vs previous years, then he would have a chance.

Regarding your other points, it is for each familly to make that decision. If you exlude a super selective like RS, the question I would ask (and other parents would ask different questions) would be that, assuming they are all equivalent from a well-being point of view, is the hassle of a commute and having friends living far away worth having a few fractions of points of better academic performance? For our familly, we found that none of the possible grammar schools in range were worth the hassle vs our very good local comp, apart from RS.
afather

Post by afather »

Thanks Thinkers and Confused Father for your replies; sorry forgot to put the Buckinghamshire score, it is above 121, DS scored score removed by moderator. We do not allow Bucks scores to be postedI was thinking the same as suggested by confusedfather; thanks for you replies again guys....and allt he best

Regards
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

your Bucks score should not be quoted - it was removed by a mod. Anything above 121 is irrelevant
thatdayistoday

Post by thatdayistoday »

afather wrote:Hi,
Regards
Hi afather
We're in the same position as you. My boy got the same score as yours 110.1 and whilst it's good that he's passed the threshold, I'm heartbroken that his chances for RS might be very slim. This waiting until March will be a long one but we're not raising our hopes. Although there is always a glimpse of hope in our hearts...
All the best to your son too
Thermal

Post by Thermal »

Our DC got marks between 110 and 110.5 for RS but we feel it’s very unlikely to get in as the intake is 138 for non boarding and there are 330 boys this year who have achieved the pass park of 108 and above. In reality looking at 92 boys who are between the pass mark and the eventual cut off point.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now