Slough - Chances for Priority Area 3

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rhiane

Re: Slough - Chances for Priority Area 3

Post by rhiane »

gopal wrote:I think Upton Grammer School take students according to Rank instead of Priority Area.
Around 70% seat are open (according to Rank)
Rest for Catchment area.

Admission guidelines are so confusing that i could not understand.

Anyone can confirm?
Regards
Yes Upton have up to 120 seats for Rank order, their criteria stipulate this would be reduced by what is filled by PP, Looked After, Feeder Schools, Staff Children (higher criteria) but there should still be a fair few left?
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

What I fail to understand from this(with regards to LGS) -

Why was there no intake from Priority area 3(P3) in 2018? They offered up to min of 115 from Priority area 2(P2) ; did NO ONE score more than 215 from Priority area 3? Would they have preferred a 115 scoring child in P2 over 130+ scoring child in P3?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Zoe007 wrote:What I fail to understand from this(with regards to LGS) -

Why was there no intake from Priority area 3(P3) in 2018? They offered up to min of 115 from Priority area 2(P2) ; did NO ONE score more than 215 from Priority area 3? Would they have preferred a 115 scoring child in P2 over 130+ scoring child in P3?
Yes because they are trying to prioritise local children over those who cannot join in school life completely because they live too far away (& may well be too tired to perform well at school).
scary mum
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Zoe007 wrote: Would they have preferred a 115 scoring child in P2 over 130+ scoring child in P3?
Yes, they now prefer to admit DC living closer to the school, many schools seem to be changing their admission criteria to catchment, i'm sure it's only a matter of time before Upton do the same.

I think it's an excellent change! (imo, higher scores don't always mean more able children!)

I'm sure there were many with super high scores from Priority area 3

Edited to correct my poor spelling
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

scary mum wrote: Yes because they are trying to prioritise local children over those who cannot join in school life completely because they live too far away (& may well be too tired to perform well at school).
Shouldn't they just shrink their postcode list then?

Some might at some point decide to move there altogether!
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Zoe007 wrote: Some might at some point decide to move there altogether!
That's where applicants should do their homework in advance and move in line with admission criteria, which with LGS is 6 months in advance of the 31st October CAF deadline

It's quite unbelievable the amount of parents that enter their child for an exam and don't do any research on admission criteria/historical data until after the results!

I knew well in advance of registering both my DD and DS of where I would and would not stand a chance of getting a place, I thought about Tiffin but it was clear that we wouldn't stand a chance of a place so didn't put them through the unnecessary stress.
Zoe007

Post by Zoe007 »

rhiane wrote:
That's where applicants should do their homework in advance and move in line with admission criteria, which with LGS is 6 months in advance of the 31st October CAF deadline

It's quite unbelievable the amount of parents that enter their child for an exam and don't do any research on admission criteria/historical data until after the results!

I knew well in advance of registering both my DD and DS of where I would and would not stand a chance of getting a place, I thought about Tiffin but it was clear that we wouldn't stand a chance of a place so didn't put them through the unnecessary stress.

Agree but for some its hard to make any decision 6 months before the big day as to how their DC would perform on their test day... sorry but just being bit realistic here
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Zoe007 wrote:
rhiane wrote:

Agree but for some its hard to make any decision 6 months before the big day as to how their DC would perform on their test day... sorry but just being bit realistic here

You have a valid point, but then one must keep an open mind and respect each school's individual admission policies, as frustrating as it must be!

Best of luck, hope you get your first choice school
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now